• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 CAC Wirraway commenced 20 APRIL 2021 Completed 18 DEC 21

Started by Boomerang, April 20, 2021, 05:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Managed to get three blades that look ok from 3/32 bass wood.
Will think about prop hub.

Started on oil cooler and have cleaned out wheel wells.

Picture to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Three blades. I imagine the diameter was reduced and the lower tip speeds would make it a it quieter.
Fraser

Boomerang

I'll check some details and let you know.

I do remember going to RAAF air shows when I was a lad. Solo show by Wirraway. Cartridge start on Canberra and the whistle of the Vampires.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Lucky that my homemade engine was a bit pliable. allowed me to squeeze it in to the cowling. Bit of modification inside required.

Propeller from basswood (blades) bamboo skewer( shaft). Multi core electrical flex insulation (blade collets?).

Nothing glued yet . Tailwheel done .

Starting to look like a Wirraway.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Excellent propeller. Looking great Gordon.

Lou

Gearup

Boomerang

Thank you Lou and Fraser.

Getting to the good part.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Working on additional air inlet on starboard side of cowling and the oil cooler at the bottom.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Where the Wirraway is at.

Tailplane is attached. Added landing lights to wing. Marked position on wing. Formed some clear plastic over wing with blow dryer.

Bit of .8mm ply as back plate . Painted black. Dab of silver and a dollop of PVA. Plastic trimmed to fit and attached with SuperGlue .

Wing will be attached and final shaping of wheel wells will be done.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Nice job on the landing light. The prop really stands out in this photo.

Lou

Boomerang

Thank you Lou.

Wings glued. Cleaning up around the wheel wells.

Looking at the few pictures of "727" I have to work out the underwing serial and roundel size. The port wing has a large size (36 inch ? ) and what would appear to be a replacement aileron . The pictures show it after going into some trees at Point Cook.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Have started to finish her off. Silver applied. Yellow trainer band on rear fuselage done. Not sure about the wing bands.

Closer look at pictures required.

Gordon

lastvautour

I look forward to including it in the 2021 Yearbook.

Lou

Boomerang

Hopefully finished by years end.

Two pictures from the net . The adf serials site has lots of Wirraway pictures. Also IPMS NSW magazine .

Note the aileron and roundel size on port wing underside.

Gearup

The bottom rondel is almost on the top! The gear is amazingly strong on this aircraft yet it is very simply designed. Bolt on a new outer wing panel, new prop and at least an engine inspection and away it probably flew... and a thorough wash of the cockpit floor of course.

Fraser