• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 CAC Wirraway commenced 20 APRIL 2021 Completed 18 DEC 21

Started by Boomerang, April 20, 2021, 05:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Thank you Lou.

The last coat is Tamiya Bare aluminium. Got about 2 squirts left in the can. Because of lockdown the local hobby outlet is using click and collect.
Their website is a bit clunky and you can't really see what they have. After some 1/2 round Evergreen plastic for the wing join.

Hopefully the decals will work. I have intermittent issues with "cracking" when applied. Just make another one.

Always liked the Reliant. A38-1 was an impressed machine. Light Yellow with Maroon(ish) . early stage with it yet.

Stay safe

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

They rolled over or rubbed off but never cracked. Can you describe what happens?

Lou

Boomerang

When applying and smoothing out the colour seems to pull away . Looks like the bottom of a paddock dam that's dried out in the sun.

So it is either the particular paper ( the carrier). Or the spray gloss I use. The Wirraway decals have been sealed with a satin of the same brand of gloss that I've used before. I'll see how they go when comes the time.

Like everything its a bit of discovery learning .

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Progressing.

Wing fillets added. More work needed. Stabiliser required a bit of quality control.

I was going to do the cowling separately but changed my mind hence the feverish activity around the front end.

Onwards !

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Kookaburra

Terrific project. Really nice work. It's so hard to get these less mainstream types in 1/48 in that other medium (shush!).

I worked on a Wirraway restoration (1:1 scale %~)) when I was a teenage volunteer at Australian Aircraft Restoration Group at Moorabbin many, many years ago.

Boomerang

Thank you Kookaburra.

Would have been great as a young volunteer working up close and personal. I managed to get out to Moorabbin ( via public transport and Shank's pony )when I was on a course in Melbourne years ago. Excellent visit. They had on display the turret off the Woomera.
That will be another project further down the track.
Lot more info seems to be surfacing on the net on it.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Finally able to get to the local hobby shop.

Got the right size evergreen half round and have replaced the wing join covers. Cleaned up a bit of hanger rash on the wings.

Working on getting the cowling right.
Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Was just reviewing the thread on your Wirraway when I remembered this photo. I was involved in a restoration of a Harvard MK IV back in 1992. Here it is getting ground checks completed prior to flying to the paint shop. The canopy frames were painted prior to installation.  The aircraft is still flying by the owner, here sitting in the front seat.  It was a lot of fun!

FRASER

Boomerang

It would have been great fun.

You can see the "lineage" for the Wirraway.

Undercarriage done. Main wheels from balsa discs. Legs brass with tubing added. Bit of refinement required. Tail wheel - insulated wire wrapped 
Around suitably sized bamboo skewer. Leg from a bent pin.

Clipped together. Bit of motivation.

Propeller is the next challenge.

Picture to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

lastvautour

It is always a pleasure to see your progress shots.

Lou

Gearup

Looks great sitting on the gear! Almost ready for a few circuits around the patch🙂
Fraser

Boomerang

Fraser
A few short hops were done.

Bit more done.

Cleaned out the cowl with a rotary tool.

I have kept a 1/48th radial engine from an old Texan kit.

Used that and made a mold out of Blue TAC . Used a light spray of olive oil as a release agent and 5 minute epoxy .

Used a bit of scrap balsa dowel and thin wire to make the reduction gear housing.

Next the propeller.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Excellent talent Gordon. Love to see your posts.

Lou