• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Mosquito

Started by Model Maker, November 21, 2015, 01:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Wanted to try and have this Mosquito ready for a gift, but may not be able to have it completed in time.

Picture shows the pieces ready to be cut out. I outlined some of the components in red as I find that I have problems cutting outside the finished outline. Thought the red lines would provide me with an alternate set of cut out lines to allow sanding / finishing to final dimensions. You can see the tang material left on the fuselage and nacelles for holding the cut outs in the carving clamp. (pictures of which are posted in the tools section on the site)

Fuselage, wings and nacelles are pine. Horizontal and vertical stabilizers are poplar for strength. I've set the trailing edge of the wing parallel to the grain

Scale is 1:40. I cut out a 1:48 fuselage and it seemed to be too small. A 1:32 is too large for a gift although I may make a second one to this scale to go with the Spitfire and Mustang. My hat is certainly off to those of you working in 1:72 or smaller scales. My skill set is not at a level where I feel comfortable working in those scales.

Boomerang

Ken,
You're right 1/40 seems about the right size.
Looking forward to progress.

Gordon

lastvautour

I too will follow your progress with great interest. I have 3 1/72 Mossies in my collection and have always wanted to do a bigger one but alas so many projects so little time.

Lou

Model Maker

Finally found some time to cut out the shapes in preparation for carving. As usual, I have left material as a tang to mount the fuselage in the carving vice. The nacelles are sufficiently large to allow me to carve them using the carving vice as well, so they also have a tang. Holes were drilled in the fuselage prior to sawing to facilitate attaching the tail, elevator and wings.

Next step - onto the carving and filing :)

lastvautour

I look forward to your progress.

Lou

lastvautour

Is your Mosquito still on the bench?

Lou

Model Maker

Hi Lou

Yes - it's still on the bench. Switched over to the Halifax, but will be returning to this project likely this fall. After the Halifaxs have 3 Mustangs to finish painting. I don't want to have too many "grey" models around.