• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Continuation of the P-40 Group Build

Started by lastvautour, January 14, 2011, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

So I didn't get it finished as planned again..................but here some photos of where I am.

lastvautour

Looks great Peter. You have a future in model building.

Lou

Peter

:DThanks Lou, I just can't believe how long its taken me to get it to this point. I think I need to take a time management course or win a lottery.

Peter

Balsabasher

Great work Peter,you really have done well with this project,many wil have taken years to get to this stage,you have really grasped what it is all about and we are really proud of you.
Barry.

dave_t

A fairly complicated subject for a first attempt at carving a plane. It turned out well!

Ken Pugh

First time always takes a long time.  If you are like me, you spend time thinking about how you will get something done instead of doing it.  As you develop your skill set, many of these delays will go away.  Keep building a few of the simple ID models, try to do something new with each one, and you will have the skill set to rip through these things like Lou and Barry.  Look over your model and critically evaluate it.  Don't look at any shortcoming as a failure but an opportunity to improve.  Identify a couple of areas you want to do better next time and your work will steadily get better.

Right now, it still takes me about 40 hours to complete an ID type model.  Carving and building goes quite quickly now, but I spend more time in painting in greater detail, though I am painting most everything and not using many decals.

Cheap materials, cheap paint, the enjoyment of craftsmanship, gotta love these models.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Well said Ken,and there is nothing better than seeing a newbie builder succeed,we all get a real buzz from that because it is another one that has joined the ranks to keep solid models alive.
Barry.

Peter

Thanks Ken for sage like words of encouragement. You, Lou, Barry, Cliff and everyone else in this forum have made it much easier to enter this hobby without feeling so overwhelmed. I agree with you about thinking about hobbies more than actually doing them. If I spent less time oohing and awing over photos in the gallery and more time building I would have a squadron by now :-) I agree with you about the critical eye. I have already have a list of things I'll do differently next time.

Peter

cliff strachan

It's probably true that one can spend too much time just thinking about how to build a model or to solve a construction problem - I'm obviously a prime example of that - but that's most of the fun in scratch building isn't it? One example is to build a tail wheel for a Mosquito in 1/96th scale so that the wheel will rotate and it's visible when in the flying mode but is even more visible when the aircraft (model) is on the deck.
While walking in the park I often think up the solution to a planning delemma only to find when I get home that the model's size precludes my brilliant solution!
Cliff

Balsabasher

Cliff I think the solution and problem  solving is why this type of model building is so much fun,it never ceses to amaze me when looking at ideas on this forum why I had not thought of a particular solution to a problem before ? it is all about shapes large and small and applying what knowledge and available materials we have in making those parts in miniature.
Like all skills after a while a definate feel is there for your subject, and just as I paint my pictures when you get a real sense of things going well with the colours,that is when the buzz factor comes into play ! difficult to describe but I think you know what I mean.
Barry.

lastvautour

Just checking in Peter. We have not forgotten you.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,

I don't feel forgotten, the P-40 is finished, photos will be posted when my lazy brother returns my camera!! I've planned out how I'm going to make my basswood egg, space ship. The templates, fuselage and wings have been roughed up for the Klings Racer but I'm nervous about that one. My tug boat with a solid basswood hull is nearing completeion. I'm also teaching one of my teenage sons how to build a Fiddlersgreen card model of a Piper Cub. The Fiddlersgreen card models would make very nice templates for solids.

Photos soon (maybe I should start my own board  ??? )

Peter

lastvautour

Ray or Garet, please set up a board for Peter.

Lou

Peter

Well better really, really, really late than never! Here is my ID+ P-40 Warhawk. I still haven't quite figured what to do for the stand yet. Thank you all for your advice and support.

Peter

Balsabasher

Peter it is a little beauty,those Chinese Nationalist markings really set it off,top job.
Barry.