• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

100 years of Marine Corps Aviation = AH1W

Started by Ken Pugh, July 30, 2012, 05:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

Tail glued up.  The tail rotor hub sits on top and is securely attached.  It still rotates a little.  You can use a large piece of brass rod in the hub and adjust it so everything is aligned squarely.  When you are happy, put some epoxy in the top area to secure the rotor hub and strengthen the top of the tail.  The paper cover can now be coated with thin CA.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=7291

Ken Pugh

Peter

It looks really good so far Ken! I can't wait to see it finished. I build card models as well mostly architectural. Paper is an underrated material, it's versatile and surprisingly resilient. I have a model of a French Chateau I built 12 years ago and it still looks good.

Peter

lastvautour

This article is fantastic. Your method lends itself to many other projects. Once my bench is cleared of current projects I would like to tackle the earlier Cobra using your method. Thanks for the photo array which are tremendously useful. Excellent workmanship throughout Ken.

Lou

Ken Pugh

I thought I had pics of how I made the outer shells to the nozzles but I don't.  I used the same form that made the nozzles and added more layers of plastic.  The paper shells were formed the same way.  These were installed on the turbine enclosures and formed over the nozzles, which are removable.  After coating with CA and plenty of rounds of putty/sand, they were smoothed into position and this part was coated with Polycrylic.

I then spent much time cleaning up the fuselage.  My piano finish method, seen in other posts, was then used.  Raise the grain with water, sand down, coat with wood filler, sand down, then coat with Polycrylic.  From this point I made the gun turret, which I do have pics for and will follow that up soon.

Ken

Ken Pugh

Sorry the updates are so rare but my disability is really whipping up on me.  Normally, I do better in the winter since the problems are worse in the heat, but I have been having a lot of trouble since Thanksgiving.  I can work on something for less than an hour then, when I get up, I find that I am in trouble and have to lay down.

I worked on the front optical turret tonight and did take a pic.  Building these things in layers helps the process significantly.  Parts that can be complicated to carve are a breeze when they are built in layers.  I have seen the ship modelers do this in practically everything they make but it never clicked for me until this project.  When you visualize the part, mentally break it up into layers.  You can do some coarse shaping of the layers before glue-up.  It also helps to make one of the layers long so you can use it for a handle while you shape the rest of the part.

You may have noticed that the nose on the model is mis-shaped and large.  The extra material was left on until the turret was built.  Now I can just trim everything down so it all fits together.

More to come.

Ken

lastvautour

I hope the new year finds you feeling better. I have yet to start my Huey Cobra but will keep your processes in mind.

Lou

Peter

Hi Ken,

Ship modelers refer to building things in layers as bread and butter construction. I have used it in constructing ships in bottles too. I hope your feeling better.

Peter

Ken Pugh

Thanks all.

Actually, I am referring to the ship modeler's ability to build deck furniture in layers.  They rarely just block and carve, everything is pieces.  Watching them build ladders is brilliant.  Small parts may seem fiddly to tackle, but carving small parts can be annoying.  I have found building a hole is much easier than drilling/carving a hole.  Building in layers also lays down a built-in ruler to guide in construction.

The main wing is next.  After that I'll need to plan out the metal bits for the rotors.  Little details on the fuselage will come after everything is settled.

Ken

cliff strachan

Hi Ken. All very interesting tips. A lot of methods that I, at least, am not aware of. Hope you are feeling better. Some things are more difficult to handle than one would expect.
Cliff.

Marsh

Hi Ken, Thanks for this post.
ATB  Marsh.

Ken Pugh

The Whiskey Cobra is not dead and still progressing.  We have been experiencing the mildest summer in my memory here in eastern North Carolina (yeah, I know, global warming is out of control) and it has been milder on me with my physical problems this year.  I have wrapped my mind around how to accomplish things on this model and tackling problems slowly.  The main work on the fuselage is done but details are needed.  Still need armament on the wings but that will come last.  The brass landing gear is made and I am now tackling the main rotor.  Once that is done the tail rotor will be simple.  Main rotor structural parts are brass and detail will be in paper and wood.  Same with the tail rotor.  Armament will be paper and wood.

lastvautour

Good to hear from you Ken. We await your results however long they take. After all, the dreaming stage is very important and highly pleasurable.

Lou