• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Handley Page Hampden - A guide to WWII ID Models

Started by lastvautour, September 28, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The top of the rear fuselage is beveled out from the center. Make a line approx 1mm from the top on both sides and either shave or sand to shape shown in second photo. Next run edge lines approx 3mm in and on top, bottom and sides. Remove the triangle made by such lines and sand to a round shape.

Lou

lastvautour

Install the wing and place the fuselage plug in upside down. Mark the depth of materiel you want to remove (photo 1 & 2). Test fit the plug and shave off if needed to make it flush with the fuselage. If you took off a bit too much, just add a sliver of wood to move it out.

Lou

lastvautour

Now using your finger edging tool, run lines 3mm on the top and sides of the gun compartment and remove the triangular part. Note that if curves down around the compartment. Either use a hobby knife or sand to a round shape. Note that the bottom of the wing and the triangle formed on the fuselage next to the gun compartment are on the same level.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 & 2

Round off the forward end of the engine nacelles by using the finger edge tool and mark a line approx 2mm from the front and on the forward face. Trim off the triangular shape and then sand to a round shape. It is very easy to get carried away with sanding so be careful.

Photo 3 & 4

Cut half way through the nacelle where the nacelle meets the wing leading edge.

Photo 5

Take the template for the top of the nacelle and draw the outline on the remaining piece of the nacelle. This will be the bottom of the nacelle. Cut to shape leaving squared off sides for now.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1

Draw the shape of the wing on the side of the nacelle. Look carefully and you will see that a razor saw has cut into the draw shape so that cutting away the materiel will always cut towards the deepest part of the airfoil shape drawn on the nacelle.

Photo 2 & 3

Cut out the wings shape from the nacelle and test fit to the wing. Note that the nacelle is horizontal to the wing and fuselage so trimming here and there will be needed. The half way down into the nacelle should line up with the center thickness of the leading edge of the wing.

Lou

lastvautour

Now make a template out off the top view of the nacelle as seen on the wing. You will note it is much narrower than the bottom shape. Cut out the shape leaving vertical sides to the nacelle.

Lou

lastvautour

Sometimes I get carried away with sand and shaping so attaching a piece to thicken the part. The last photo shows the repaired nacelle. Light sanding and a bit of putty will make things right.

Lou

lastvautour

Just to take your mind of nacelles, here is the sanded joint between the rear fuselage and the stabilizer.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,

Here are some update photos of my Hampden. The fuselage is shaped, a little more sanding required but its getting close. The wing and tail are at the same stage. I"m going to have to stare at your nacelle photos for a little while longer before I start cutting them up.

Balsabasher

lastvautour

I agree with Barry, well done Peter. The nacelles can be a bit challenging, but from what I have seen to date, you will do fine. If you have a spare piece of doweling you can attempt the clothespin approach using your scroll saw. I just could not master that trick.

Lou

Peter

Thanks Lou but my scroll saw is a low end one from Crappy Tire ( that's a store really called Canadian Tire to non Canadians). I will follow your method on the nacelle.

Peter

lastvautour

Moving to the fuselage again, use your finger guide to mark off the area as indicated in the photo. It is approx 4mm from the edge. Extend these lines down the forward portion of the fuselage.  Next using the paper template. use a pin to mark the location of the top and bottom of the cockpit area. Connect the dots and frame the windscreen.

lastvautour

Look carefully at the photos. We are cutting alone two lines. The one that goes to the bottom front edge of the3 cockpit and the other runs across the base of the from canopy area. Rock the blade back and forth to get the cut as perpendicular to the lines as possible.

Lou

lastvautour

Carefully cut out the triangular shape made by the two edge lines as far back at the cut at the base of the windscreen. Do the same for the other side.

Lou