• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Continuation of the P-40 Group Build

Started by lastvautour, January 14, 2011, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Excellent build Peter. You can be very proud of your accomplishment.  As to a stand, throw a coat of varnish on what you are using now and there you have it. Have a look at the gallery and you will find all sorts of stands to choose from. Again, congratulations on a superb P-40 Warhawk.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Nicely done, Peter.  There's nothing wrong with the stand you have right there.  I like using a straight post with the small 1/72 fighters.  Makes them look like the models used on plots for the generals during a battle.  Another idea for the base is to make it round and paint it like the wing markings.

Ken Pugh

Mark Braunlich

A very simple stand can be made with just a length of wire and 3 bends.  The wire stands use very little "real estate" on shelf displays.  Here I have 1/72 scale Airfix Spitfire and WW2 vintage ID+ P-47 flying over a WW2 vintage solid Stuka. The figures are repainted Skybirds castings. 

Mark

Balsabasher

Thats a very nice Percival Proctor bottom left.

Barry.

Peter

Thank you all for your kind words and stand suggestions. Of course the stand might take me 7 months to finish!!

Peter

buccfan

I think your P-40 looks great Peter, I have to admire your recessed ailerons and canopy framing on only your second model?. I am chomping at the bit to get on with my Hawk, but I have so much going on at the moment It's frustrating. Regards Paul. 

lastvautour

Any more P-40s out there?

Peter

I was at Michael's craftstore with the wife and they had a display of collages which gave me the idea of using my ID+ P-40 for a Flying Tigers tribute collage.

Peter

Mark Braunlich

I love it!  :D

The P-40F is on my short list.

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

Lou,

I just noticed in your P-40 collage that you identified the profile P-40 as mine, but I haven't build that style P-40.  My only P-40 is the ID model shown in your collage.  Perhaps the profile model was Kenny Hornes?

Garet

lastvautour

I believe you are correct. I will redo it. Now I am working on the 2012 collage.

Lou

RyanShort1

Just an FYI - that P-40 of mine (Ryan's) is actually in 1/72 scale and I gave it to my sister. It's probably still there somewhere.

lastvautour

Hello Ryan. It has been quite a while. What are you to these days? I will attempt to find the collage photo and change the scale on your P-40.

Lou

lastvautour

A bit if nostalgia from SMM.

A quote from Ray:

This is THE first model built from the FIRST plan posted on the old SMM page. Brett sent it to me and it now stands on the top of my entertainment center, has for the last 15 years, made from unknown wood found in the Outback of Australia. It is as smooth as glass and uses paper decals as well as wood burnings for the dark panel lines. It is now mounted on a red, white and blue shield that has SMM in large letters on it. Just like the shield you see in the magazine cover. The plan is in the gallery under Guillows

Lou