• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Avro Tudor to 1=200th scale

Started by Balsabasher, October 20, 2011, 09:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Made a start on the 1=200th Avro Tudor today the fourth in the Dinky Joy series of models that were projected but never made as Dinky Toys,when I unrolled the original Meccano drawings earlier today I found that the wing drawing was missing ? so a quick search through my library came up with stalwarts A.J.Jackson's book 'British civil aircraft 1919-1959' there inside was a small drawing of the Avro Tudor,a quick scale rule was made up and taken along to the local print shop,the nice lady behind the counter measured up the drawing did some calculations and came up with a drawing that was spot on to my dimensions,the project was saved.
The fuselage blank was cut from Gelutong,a precious offcut from yesteryear found in the scrap wood box.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/AVRO_TUDOR_START_2.JPG

Balsabasher

The Avro Tudor now has some shape to it after a lot of carving and sanding,the large wing fillets are made from 'DAS' modelling clay,basically the clay is worked in-situ on the wing to fuselage joint then allowed to dry out,once dry it falls away because it has no adhesion which is useful in this case because for casting the fuselage will be done as one piece and the wing separate,then the fillet is simply glued back into place onto the wing in this case.
I cannot help thinking how much the design looks like the Handley Page Hastings RAF transport of later years.
The tail area will be cleaned up with a fillet.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/AVRO_TUDOR_ASSEMBLED_1.JPG

lastvautour

How many of these Small Gems are you going to make?

Lou

Balsabasher

A good question Lou ? what has started as a gap filler for the Dinky Toys that were not made has suddenly expanded into a series 2 of those that would make ideal subjects,it is the old adage 'How long is a piece of string' !
I have once again been captivated by lilliputian aviation miniatures,they say small is beautiful.
Barry.