• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Skybirds-The name lives on

Started by Balsabasher, August 11, 2011, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

The name 'Skybirds' just lives on and on,more information on these pioneering solid models from yesteryear has come to light these past few years than ever before as it seems collections,kits and complete models are changing hands as items are discovered in estates treasures and even lofts where they have not been touched for years.
Here is page one of the excellent historical article published by 'Scale Models' it mentions Peter Leslie Grey the WW1 model builder,Peter Farrar the owner of the 1,000 model collection and Charles Cain the well known author,there can be little doubt that these wooden kits inspired boys to be future pilots,one such was the test pilot Neville Duke who mentions them in his book and describes his model airfield layout with much affection.
Barry.

The complete pages can be read under magazine covers etc.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_SKYBIRDS_1.jpg

Peter

Thanks Barry fascinating stuff. Your comments make me wonder just what's out there waiting to be rediscovered.

Peter

Will

Thanks for uploading that article Barry.  The models illustrating it look very well made.  Even so there appears to be no sign of ribbing on the wings as we are all taught to show nowadays.  Perhaps when fabric wings were the norm the ribbing didn't seem worthy of note (Stevens doesn't even mention it in his book)?
The photo of the Machine Gun details has the scale printed on the packet as 1/70, which was the scale of the earliest planes (according to "Skybirds Notes").

Cheers
Will

Balsabasher

Will I found yet another article on Skybirds today,I will scan the pages and place them into our archives shortly,you will find it interesting.
Yes the ribbing thing is interesting,likewise no signs of any rigging attempts on these models either ?
I wonder what happened to the Peter Leslie Grey models ? he was an expert on WW1 subjects and his knowledge is well documented with articles and plans.
Barry.

Balsabasher

This other Skybirds article is 25 years old already ! how time flies when you re having fun,there is something different in all of these articles and they make for interesting reading and the pictures of the models,it comes from a magazine called 'Aircraft Modelworld' not even sure if it is still going ? these magazines come and go like a flash of light.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_SKYBIRDS_ARTICLE_NUMBER_2_1.jpg

Mark Braunlich

Gentlemen:
Here's an old Skybirds Fairey Gordon from my small collection.  This one has wing ribs represented by grooves filed in the wings and tail surfaces, actually ruining the model.  I just mention this as some modellers did try to represent ribs in various, usually crude ways.    Having just ribbed with paper strips, the upper surfaces of my current project, a similar Fairey IIID (see Long Distance Flights cookup) I'd have to say it would be be beyond most of the young modellers that the Skybirds were marketed for.  The upper wing alone of the IIID has 78 paper strips doped in position, several taking more than one attempt to get them on straight and in the right place.

Mark

Balsabasher

Great historical model Mark.
Barry.

Will

Quote from: Balsabasher on August 16, 2011, 10:01:23 PM
This other Skybirds article is 25 years old already ! how time flies when you re having fun,there is something different in all of these articles and they make for interesting reading and the pictures of the models,it comes from a magazine called 'Aircraft Modelworld' not even sure if it is still going ? these magazines come and go like a flash of light.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_SKYBIRDS_ARTICLE_NUMBER_2_1.jpg

That's another great article, Barry.  I wish I'd found some Skybirds in our loft when we moved in - just some old anaglypta wallpaper and spare rolls of insulation, sadly!  If you have them, please would you upload the May 86 article that this was a follow-up to and also presumably the October 86 issue as the last caption says "more to come next issue"!!!

Cheers
Will

Balsabasher

Unfortunately I do not have that issue Will,but who knows it may just turn up ?
Yes can you believe opening the loft and finding Skybirds !! what a lucky chap.
Barry.