• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RAF Training gliders as solid model subjects

Started by Balsabasher, July 26, 2011, 11:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

There must be quite a few of us here who learned to fly on gliders perhaps when they were younger ? the Air Training corps and similar worldwide organisations encouraged youngsters to learn the principles of flight in gliders such as the Slingsby T-21 Sedburgh or 'Sledge' as it was called with affection.
I have uploaded the four page article from the 'Aeromodeller' dated 1952 which has some excellent three view drawings of the most popular ones then in use,you can find these in the new additions on the homepage,suitably scaled they make fine subjects for solid models.
I once saw an entire cabinet of solids of gliders in the storage section of RAF Cardington where they kept the overflow of artifacts for the RAF Museum collection,they looked most impressive.
Barry.

Peter

Hi Barry,

I've always wanted to fly in a glider but haven't had the chance as of yet. You got me thinking it would be interesting to build a solid model of the famed Colditz glider. Even if it never actually flew.

Peter

Balsabasher

Peter they have built a flying replica 'Colditz cock' glider,the original was covered with a table cloth doped in ground millet,an amazing story.
Go get yourself a flight at the local gliding club,this will be an experience that you will not forget.
Barry.

K_mars

The glider is beautiful. Both the body shape and the flying figure are beautiful.
I want to make a solod model of the posture of the flight.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Kenji the design was nicknamed 'The Sled' the shape of the nose from the front also resembles a frog shape,the T.21 Sedburgh served the post war glidung clubs and ATC experience flights so is an important part of aviation history.
You are correct the design has real beauty and character,I am pleased to share this design with you.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

It is frog's really face.
The painting of red and white is beautiful.

kenji.

lastvautour

I see a Nord 583 peeking from under some drop cloth.

Lou

Balsabasher

Kenji that scheme really sets it off nicely,I just have to build one now after seeing this picture,yes that is a Nord 583,you built one I seem to remember Lou a while back ?
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Barry,
I didn't take lessons but I did have a ride in this Kirby Cadet 3 (?) in June of 2004 at a vintage sailplane regatta in Lawrenceville, Illinois.   I wangled a half-price ride through my labor of scrubbing millions of dead bugs off this Piper Pawnee, our tow plane, seen in the last photo all nicely washed down.

Mark

Balsabasher

Those darn bugs get everywhere Mark ! I am amazed to see this ex Air Cadet training glider in Illinois and still flying as well ,they were certainly built to last,they even fitted two tiny engines ( or a single motor ) to make them into motorised Kirby Cadet's,I once saw one going backwards in a reasonable wind,it was literally hovering up there.
Thanks for the picture,most interesting story.
Barry.