• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Gloster Meteor T.7

Started by Balsabasher, July 15, 2011, 11:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

You could probably get that in Canada Lou,we do not get many Cadilacs this side of the pond.
Barry.

Balsabasher

The Meteor T.7 has been painted silver finish,however I am not happy with the paint and intend stripping it and starting again with new silver finish,these things happen.
Barry.

lastvautour

With silver, more times than not. That is why I am procrastinating with the Comet and Yukon.

Lou

Peter

Okay stupid question #106. What's the problem with silver spray paint? I have only used silver paint with a brush. I should probably find out before I try some some day.

Peter

Balsabasher

Peter it is the wrong type of silver finish,probably an auto chrome bumper substitute,I need something like silver fox or similar shade,it was a tin that I had in my paint stock and I thought that it would be suitable but it was not.
No such thing as a stupid question Peter,we learn from asking questions no matter how minor they may seem.
Barry.

lastvautour

Have not heard from the Meteor shop in a while. I know you sometimes forget to post pictures when you complete a project. I plan on doing one as well in RCAF colours.

Lou

Mothman

I still reckon  that the only way to represent metal is to make it of metal. If you want an aluminium finish, use aluminium tape, Selotape Aluminium, and burnish it on, panel by panel. It works very well and repays a perfect finish underneath and a little time and planning.  I used it on a Vampire and a 1/32nd scale slot car body.  I use a crewel needle and bits of hardwood.  Silver paint always look like paint.

Martin

Balsabasher

Lou the Meteor is in the pending hangar and has not been touched now in weeks together with the Slingsby T.21 Sedburgh glider which is still in grey finish,I have been busy recently at home looking after my dear wife who is not too well.
I also have some projects on the bench in the very early stages of build which I will get to in due course.

Martin yes I have used silver tapes and burnishing silver in the past,there is a product that is used for picture framing that is buffed up when dry,similar to that product 'Rub N Buff' that appeared on the market some time ago.

Barry.

Mothman

Barry, I have some rub'n'buff, but it has a tendency to clump. Bits come up a treat and some areas don't take and the more you put on the more it goes a bit patchy. Fine for a picture frame but not a model.

I'm for the real McCoy, though I have seen some large scale models done with the American paint called Alclad which are almost convincing, but in small scales, much less so.
Martin