• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Gloster Meteor T.7

Started by Balsabasher, July 15, 2011, 11:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Here the templates have been cut and the fuselage blank cut to shape for a start on the Gloster Meteor T.7.

The lower picture shows the recently arrived Meteor T.7 that arrived at Coventry airport,UK last week from Kemble,this will be shortly painted in its original silver scheme,my model will be in the same colours for G-BWMF.
There is another all black Meteor T.7 used for testing Martin Baker ejector seats at Chalgrove airfield,the technology derived from this aircraft has saved the lives of many airmen who have had to eject at low level.

Barry.

lastvautour

I am interested in finding out how you will install your nacelles.

Lou

Balsabasher

I have a plan Lou,watch this space.

Barry.

lastvautour

That was quick. I am watching!!!!

LOu

Balsabasher

Today the basic parts for the wing and the two jet engines were carved up,after many deliberations on the way of tackling the engine to wing joint I settled upon removing the centre portion of the nacelles with a piercing saw,these were then slid onto the wing,after this operation the dihedral was cracked into the wings,the joint is then effectively hidden by the engines as they just cover this joint.
I considered half jointed nacelles fore and aft,split into two top and bottom,overhanging from the front with a piece added at the bottom and even wire rod running through a gap for the engines,in the end I just kept it nice and simple and strong with the aerofoil section removed on the engines.
Barry.

Balsabasher

The fuselage has been carved,the tail assembly made up,the engine nacelles have been hollowed but you cannot see this in these pictures,also the under belly fuel tank has been carved just needs fitting,shown tonight jigged up and drying ready for initial coat of sanding sealer,then wing fillets to be added.

Barry.

lastvautour

Looking sweet. Love those early jets.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lots of primer and rubbing down on the Meteor T.7,more primer before its silver top coat and RAF Training command markings that will be hand painted.
Barry.

lastvautour

Coming along quite nicely Barry. I want one.

Lou

Balsabasher

Shot in some yellow today where the training bands will be positioned on the Gloster Meteor T.7,more coats of yellow are needed to get to the masking stage.
Barry.

lastvautour

Yellow is a pain! Looks good.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I went into the workshop today to find the Meteor covered in black and yellow Ladybirds ! they must have been attracted towards the yellow paintwork.
You are right yellow takes some work to get it to look right,I made a mistake here and should have used white primer underneath and not grey,although it says use grey on the tin it does not give enough reflection underneath.
Barry.

lastvautour

I believe you mentioned pink at one point.

Lou

Balsabasher

Yes I once read that pink is the standard undercoat for yellow on vintage automobiles,I do not think anyone produces pink as a car colour ? it would need a custom mix but they are big minimum amounts,it would be worth trying.
Barry.

lastvautour

Pink Cadilac?? Probably in laquer.

Lou