• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.3

Started by Balsabasher, July 06, 2011, 11:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The cheap stuff is about 1/4 of the price you stated. The more expensive Duplicolour is about $7.50 CDN. Oh yah, plus 15% tax to boot.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I think that there should be exemption from tax for use on solid models  :o
Barry.

Balsabasher

The Jet Provost T.3 went into the paintshop today to receive its red finish,as the rest is white the masking needed extra care,I used Tamiya tape,it is good quality and nice and narrow as well,the results will be seen tomorrow,if it is not right then it will be done all over again,there is no second chance with a white/red combination as the paint bleeds creating pink,to stop the bleed over you need to stop it with grey primer.
Barry.

buccfan

Coming on nicely Barry, do you do all your painting with rattle cans? , I use them for primer but use a hairy stick for top coats etc as I don't have an airbrush, I use the Humbrol grey primer spray but a lot of people use the Halfords cans, with mixed reviews. That mini plane looks a handy little tool.Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Paul I have had good results with the Halfords rattle colours,the new formulae acrylic range are top notch quality with soft spray heads and full body colours ideal for our models,yes I use the colour range for my models besides the primers usually selecting the nearest match to what is needed.
I find them convenient with no cleaning out as per air brushes,yes they are fairly expensive but I offset this with the quality of finish achieved and I like using them,the old saying 'Dont spoil the ship for an halfpenny worth of tar' is so true when it comes to doing a nice paint job on our solids,it simply brings them to life.
But each to their own and what works for us all personally.
Besides the Halfords range there are other excellent ones on the market as well,I did try one range that stunk so badly for days and never used that brand again,I put the model at the bottom of the garden as the smell was so bad ! it lingered for days.
Barry.

buccfan

Thanks for that Barry, I think I will give the Halfords a try, I don't fancy all the mixing and cleaning associated with airbrushing.Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Airbrushes are too fiddly for me personally,I just want to grab a can of colour and get on with it,unless you have an ultrasonic cleaner they are very prone to blocking.
But some modellers use them all of the time with great success.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Off with the masking tape,a few minor under creeps but nothing that cannot be fixed with a spotting in session and a 000 brush,the Jet Provost in its CFS red and white scheme,I will let this cure properly before handling it for the markings etc.
Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, have you tried the "Frog Tape"?

Lou

Balsabasher

No not yet Lou,I must try it out,I noticed it in the DIY store last week.
Barry.

buccfan

That's looking great Barry, lovely paint job. I found this tape when I did a Google for frog tape, it promises no bleeding as well. Regards Paul J.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Precise-Indoor-Masking-Residue-Removal/dp/B0024NKD62/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1312230360&sr=1-5

Balsabasher

I used Tamiya narrow masking tape,the edge you get from this is very good,in between filling I use cartridge paper and ordinary supermarket masking tape to keep the cost down,a good tip is to cut thin Bond writing paper into strips,rub some soap along the edge and stick it down,removal is easy just wet the paper and rub off the soap,use soap bars not the liquid variety.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Jet Provost T.3 model number 2 is being finished in a scheme used at RAF Cranwell when they had an aerobatic team with this particular type,the scheme is most attractive being white on the upper surfaces and red underneath as seen from the ground,the peck line will be picked out in blue,lots of careful masking on this one but the end result will be well worth it.
Barry.

lastvautour

That is going to be fantastic Barry. I hear that if you use a wet basket coffee filter with Tamiya tape , you can achieve some good results. I use Tamiya tape also but have not added the wet filter. I hear a second trick is to cut the filter to the camouflage shape, it stick to the surface when wet and then remove it while the paint is still wet. It is suppose to give a nice clean line. (?)

Lou

Balsabasher

I must give that a try Lou as it sounds interesting,another good masking tool is Bluetak,you just roll it out with a rolling pin or similar and cut the shapes that you want,spray then pull it off,it is also ideal for tricky masking areas like inside engine nacelles or over wheels,you just plug it into place,this beats the old technique of using wet tissue paper but you can still  find a use for tissue pushed into  holes and anything that needs protecting from overspray.
Speaking of masking I had difficulty masking leading edges neatly,on the Jet Provost I cheated a bit by bringing the demarcation line up a little so the overlap was hardly noticeable but you can still see all red from below looking up at the aircraft as the original display team scheme was intended to look from the ground,masking on the dead centreline is virtually impossible to do neatly and has caught me out on many occasions,by bringing it up a tad it seems to work better but this is a personal choice.
Being an artist myself creating illusions is all part of the technique of painting.
Barry.