• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Schweizer Glider/Cessna Tow Plane........................(Completed 16 May 2014)

Started by lastvautour, July 20, 2012, 12:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

It is not your program, it's little old senile me. New drawing and direction sent via email.

Lou

Peter

Thanks Lou, that's better!

Peter

lastvautour

I decided to laminate the fuselage so that all pieces would be from the same board of recycled mahogany baseboard. I added a Cessna 180 to act as a tow plane pending construction of the L-19.

Lou

lastvautour

The Schweizer 2-33 Royal Air cadet glider took flight earlier today. Had to borrow a tow plane as the L-19 is still in the drawing stages.

Lou

lastvautour

More photos. C-GFNA flies out of Debert Nova Scotia but is stored in Greenwood during the winter.

Lou

Peter

The glider looks great Lou! I haven't even gotten the wood yet. Your work is inspirational as always.

Peter

lastvautour

Thank you Peter. In future I will avoid laminated parts. I had many areas where the glue failed to hold even though there was lots of it. I don't know if it was the higher than normal humidity. Humidex here is above 30C and will be again tomorrow. This has been a recurring theme this summer.

Lou

Peter

Actually I just had the same problem trying to laminate two pieces of wood for a wing. It very well could be the weather. Well it still beats the rain !

Peter

lastvautour

At a friend's suggestion I used Gorilla Glue. So far so good and no split. I guess the type of glue is important in these damp conditions. They actually make you add water to one side of the two pieces to be joined, so dampness does not appear to be a problem. Live and learn.

Lou

Peter

I have actually used Guerilla Glue to glue brass pieces to a cherry wood walking stick I made my Mom. It's held up very well and has been water resistant too. They also make Guerilla white wood glue but I haven't tried it yet.

Peter

cliff strachan

That is a real nice set up, Lou. Your Schweizer S-33 is supreme. Right down to the nose skid - which I remember well as an important part of the Schweizer S-21. Incidentally, I did come across a black and white photo of a S-21 - origin unknown - but one that I intend to send to SMM.
Cliff.

lastvautour

cliff strachan

A recent proposal for a Cook-up involved gliders and a history of gliding. In this vain I thought that it would be of interest to members of SMM if I posted a brief history of gliding as it was undertaken by the RCAC in Canada.

In this first photo:a Schweizer SGU-2-22E as it currently is displayed at the WCAM is shown.

In my next shot a history of gliding is shown:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=7197&fullsize=1
Finally, a photo of an earlier Schweizer, believed to be a single seat Schweizer S-21 - photographer and location is unknown, is displayed:

Cliff.//

lastvautour

The L-19 tow plane is in block form and proceeding. It should be ready for roll out by end Oct.

Lou

lastvautour

I had completely forgotten about the blocked L-19 until I looked for the name of the glider to post to the CF-5A build. WOW was I surprised to find that I had already done templates and had started the model. Just like Christmas, isn't senility grand in that respect. Regardless, back to work on the L-19.