• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Schweizer Glider/Cessna Tow Plane........................(Completed 16 May 2014)

Started by lastvautour, July 20, 2012, 12:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

This cook up was started by Peter and Lou and will deal with gliders and or their respective tow planes.

Lou

Note - No other member joined the cook up, hence the thread is relocated to Lou's Project Board. Some pictures are not visible. Just select them to view.

lastvautour

I have selected the Royal Canadian Air Cadet Cessna Model 305A/L-19/O-1 Bird Dog tow plane and the Schweizer 2-33/2-33A Glider in 1/32 scale. I started collecting data on the L-19 some time ago as a friend of mine works with them out of Debert NS for the summer flying program.

L-19 Photo from Wikimedia

Schweizer  Model:SGS 2-33A from Maitlandaircadet.ca.

Drawing from fiddlersgreen.net

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, I guess I had better clear this up first. While I have to do some more research and planning before I commit to this latest cook-up I'm wondering if I might still qualify if the Air Cadet glider that I'm considering, the Schweizer S21 - that I was involved with in Cadets, would still be considered if the tow plane was actually an Eaton's panel truck. We used the truck to tow the glider using a 1000' rope to approximately 800' agl. If memory serves me at all that is.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Any glider or tow methods is ok as long as it is a solid. I have seem VW bugs get gliders aloft.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou. But VW bugs?!
Cliff.

Peter

Gliders make up such a unique and mostly forgotten part of aviation history. If the cookup is open to all gliders and tow planes think of the possibilities, civilian gliders/tow planes galore. There are also all the World War 2 gliders, Horsas and Wacos towed by DC3s. The German Me 323 Gigant towed by Ju 52. There were also the German gliders used to assault the Belgium fort and rescue Mussilini but I can't remember the name of them right now. In the ID model section there is the Bristol LRQ-1 US Navy troop glider only three were built. It was planned that they would be towed by a seaplane like the PBY Catalina. Have I missed any?

Peter

Jim

There was a whole series of training gliders (the TG series) built in the US by Piper, Aeronca, and other aircraft manufacturers to train glider pilots. See: http://www.ww2gp.org/training.htm

The German assault gliders used in the attack on Fort Eban Emael in Belgium and the rescue of Mussolini were the small, 10-man DFS 230s. Germany also built over 1,500 Gotha 242 transport gliders and used them in the Mediterranean and North Africa. They often used Heinkel 111 bombers as glider tugs, too.

Also, don't forget the big British General Aircraft Hamilcar (troop transport) and Hotspur (training) gliders. In addition to Dakotas, the British often used Short Stirling bombers as glider tugs.

Lots of modeling options!
And so it goes...

lastvautour

If it has no motor and flies, it's a glider!! All tow planes and gliders are welcomed. Apparently there is such a thing as a powered glider where the motor is used to gain altitude and then shut off for the glide back. I found a few drawings of the SGS 2-33 and the L-19. I could not find any cross sections to the Bird Dog, but it should be pretty straight forward.

Lou

For Peter: will you be doing the 2-33 Canadian Air Cadet Glider?

Peter

Hi Lou,

I will be doing the 2-33 Cadet glider, although I haven't decided the scale yet. Isn't there a plan for the Bird dog in ID Models or some where else on the site?

Peter

Peter

Hey Lou

I found a perfect plan for 2-33! It's actually for a 1/8 scale RC version but would work perfectly for a solid. printed it off on a 8.5x11 sheet. I'm not sure what scale it is but I'm going to build it right off the sheet.

http://www.gliderworkshop.com/index.php?

Still looking for a suitable Bird Dog plan.

Peter

lastvautour

I just sent you the same one you found. I should have checked the link first. I do have an excellent drawing of the Bird Dog given to me by my friend Dave Tunison. I will check with him on posting to the gallery or I will send them to you via email.

Lou

Peter

Thanks Lou, I responded to your email

Peter

lastvautour

Like a kid at Christmas, I could not wait. The drawings has been printed and pasted to cereal box cardboard and cut ready to trace onto the wood.

Lou

Peter

You are a kid at Christmas! That's why you get so many models finished! I printed out the Bird dog it came out perfect. The glider only printed out a quarter of the model and actually looked like a screen shot?

Peter

lastvautour

What program are you using. This is Windows Starter 2010.

Lou