• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DH-106 Comet Completed 13 August 2011 - Repairs completed 31 May 2022

Started by lastvautour, February 21, 2008, 01:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buccfan

That has really gone together well,the engine section look great Lou, when using wood filler/ putty,do you just use wood filler, or have you tried any of the multi purpose fillers which are not only for wood and tend to be finer, or do they  crack and fall out? Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I have tried plastic model putty with some bad results so from now on it Elmer's Wood filler. Some one suggested Bondo. I have not tried that yet.

Lou

lastvautour

Primer applied.

Lou

Balsabasher

Looking more beautiful every time a coat of paint goes on Lou.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Looks fantastic Lou!

Mark

lastvautour

Thank you Barry and Mark. I should be able to paint within a few days. The humidity here is terrible these last few days and it will remain for a few more. With exception to the fin and fuselage top, the Comet is metal. I purchased each 3 spray can of Testor buffable aluminum, titanium and stainless steel. That should give enough variance for various areas on the wings and lower fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

Gloss white has been applied. I will let it cure a few days before masking to apply the metallic colour.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou have you noticed that gloss white takes longer to cure than most other colours ? a wise precaution as finger marks are easy to pick up as you handle the model.
Barry.

lastvautour

I have made quite a few messes with sticky white so she will sit for a while. I have a few other projects to keep me busy.

Lou

cliff strachan

Really neat so far, Lou.
Cliff

lastvautour

I applied a mist coat of gloss white over the tape to avoid leakage. Even with Frog Tape, I would like to do a good job on this one.

Lou

Balsabasher

That is the secret to a fine crisp edge Lou,if you are able apply another coat when the mist coat is just curing,a professional painter once told me this,apparently the paint fuses.
With such sharp demarcation lines you just have to plod on carefully,the biggest danger is the film/masking tape being attacked by the paint as the dryers go off,you probably know all of this Lou but it is worth bringing up now whilst people are watching your progress on this delightful model.
Barry.

lastvautour

The mist spray worked fine using just masking tape. A light gloss coat has been added over the silver/white finish, and guess what, no fingerprints in the white paint. Yeah, this must be a first for me.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou it is a beauty,out of interest which silver paint did you use ? it looks to be quite a bright silver unlike silver fox etc,it looks most effective.
Barry.

lastvautour

The paint is Krylon Bright Silver in the rattle can. I tried it on the F-84 tip tanks first. It will pick up every blemish.

Lou