• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DH-106 Comet Completed 13 August 2011 - Repairs completed 31 May 2022

Started by lastvautour, February 21, 2008, 01:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

That fuselage looks perfect Lou,you are doing well to contemplate on joining tricky bits as seen on the Comet,with round fuselages mated against a complex wing and tail set up things are not always easy,but you are in good spirits and this will succeed,go for it Lou !
Barry.

buccfan

That's looking great Lou,I'me particularly impressed by the nacelle section,very intricate carving.The last of our Comet/Nimrod aircraft were early retired this week.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I joined the engine section to the wings with little trouble. The wing was notched first followed by the engine section. Now just a bit of carving, putty and sanding, the unit should be ready for the fuselage later this week. In this photo, the fuselage is just resting on top of the Engine/Wing section.

Balsabasher

The Comet has been a challenging subject for you Lou,especially those engine nacelles but you have given a lot of thought to this and it is now paying off,what is emerging is the beautiful lines of this classic iconic aircraft with that lovely round fuselage.
Barry

lastvautour

The mating of the major pieces is coming along nicely. The engine center section is a complicated arrangement that needs a bit of careful thinking before making those cuts. Final trimming for fit, a bit of putty and sanding will get her ready for the primer. I should be in the paint shop by the beginning of next week.

Lou

cliff strachan

Boy, that engine section is indeed remarkable. Lou, did you have to consider any alternative methods of construction? Or did anything reasonable even present itself?
Cliff

Balsabasher

Lou that centre section is a work of art in itself,there is not one straight line anywhere,you have worked the module out well,this is going to look really stunning.
Barry.

lastvautour

Cliff, I though of carving left and right engine module seperately and attaching to the top and bottom of the wing. I rejected that idea earlier on. I though of doing the engine and wings as one piece, however that would have meanth running the grain of the wood sideways to the nacelle shape. Not a good idea for my limited skills. The only remaining option I saw was to do the center engine section as one piece running the grain for and aft. So far it appeares to have worked as desired. I glued the fuselage last night and will do the putty and filling of the larger gaps with bit of wood.
Barry, thank you.

Lou

lastvautour

All parts are glued and putty has been applied to the engine/fuselage joint.

Balsabasher

Lou your model is bringing back memories for me,I remember seeing scores of Comet promotional models sitting in the windows of travel agents,these days you hardly ever see a single model ? BOAC had hundreds made by a company called Westway models,the company still exists.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Very good planning Lou. And thanks for the detailed explanation of the potential obstacles that may be encountered.

Cliff

lastvautour

Test fitting window treatment on the comet. Either original square or new rounded windows are no problem when using decals. The cockpit windows may be a problem unless they are made in separate panes. The Comet has been primed and initial sanding has begone. The Duplicolour primer/filler done a nice job, but it is very messy to sand with that red dust getting into everything.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou the primer has really pulled the shape together,congratulations on a fine piece of challenging carving my friend.
Barry.

lastvautour

Thanks Barry. Still a bit more to go.

Lou

lastvautour

First complete sanding completed. Now I will use grey primer and give it a final sanding before painting.

Lou