• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DH-106 Comet Completed 13 August 2011 - Repairs completed 31 May 2022

Started by lastvautour, February 21, 2008, 01:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

You come up with some great ideas Lou and your experimental approach is noteworthy,I do like the way this DC-2 centre section has been broken down the way it has which makes carving much easier,also I always think that studying the way the real ship is put together is worthwhile ie centre section stub wing then outer wing panels makes life easier.
A good tip is to stick coarse to medium grade abrasive papers to wooden dowel from broom handle size downwards,these make superb sanding blocks to get that inner curve we strive for.
I usually go these days for large wing fillets made from that amazing material obtainable from art shops called 'DAS' you can form it over the wing butting against the fuselage,once dry it can be sanded and carved just like wood ( well it really is pulped wood with additives ) then carefully lifted from the surface and re-glued back into position as it has no adhesive qualities of any note,it is particarly useful for large fillets,for multiple units you can even mould it by pressing a wooden pattern into florists Oasis and spreading it in smoothing off with a palette knife,once cured uit can be sanded and filed as well.
The Comet certainly presents some challenges to get that beautiful root shape with the engine covers as well.
Barry.

lastvautour

The starboard side engine nacelles have been found inside this piece of wood. i only hope I can find the port side also.

Lou

buccfan

That looks an intricate bit of carving Lou, how long did that take to do?. Is that a Red Arrow smoke pod in the background? Regards Paul.

lastvautour

That took about two hours of gouging away. Yes, that is a Red Arrow in the background.

lou

Balsabasher

That is an impressive bit of carving Lou by any standards,you really are getting somewhere with the shape of those engines,no easy task with a chisel.
Barry.

lastvautour

The material for the wings and tail feathers have been chosen. All tat remains is find a suitable piece for the fuselage.

Balsabasher

This is going to be a very impressive model Lou,and the piece of timber that you have for the wing looks very good.
Like yourself I am running a bit low on fuselage material.
Barry.

lastvautour

I still have 3 feet of a 2 X 6 plank I bought some time ago but I am reluctant to cut it up. In the end I fear there will be no choice in the matter.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou is this precious piece of timber White Pine ? something virtually unobtainable here in the UK,in fact exotic woods in general are difficult,I even have difficulty getting hold of Basswood which I love working with.
Barry.

lastvautour

Clear pine is the order of the day around here. Every now and then I come across some white pine but it find it harder to work with than clear pine. The clear pine is approx $3.00 CDN a foot for 2 X 6 when in stock. Since the military base used quite a bit of it, the local shops keep it in stock. I considered laminating a block for the fuselage but found I did not have any of that either having used my last piece to do the wings. The cutting operation took around 10 minutes using my band saw. The blade slowed quite a few times and I had to ease up on the pressure to put it through. Cutting this thick my table saw just heats up too much. The wings and tail units have been block shape and will be contoured in due time.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Looks great so far Lou.  Have you picked an airline yet or will it be military?

Mark

lastvautour

I am considering an RCAF version. The RCAF became the first Air Force in the world to operate jet transports and the first operator to make scheduled trans-Atlantic crossings. I was fortunate enough to join the RCAF before it was combined with the navy and army to form the Canadian Armed Forces in 1968.

Lou

cliff strachan

Well this is back to the subject of wood. I hope to offer a posting of my progress - or better lack of - in constructing my DH Mosquito - the famous "F for Freddie". Sort of as an introductory and as the subject of wood came up I'd like to comment that thinking that a piece of Balsa as it came available in a hardware and was evidently cut closer  to the trunk or otherwise deemed unfit as a hobby piece of balsa it therefore would be more dense and  less "grainy" I purchased it and commenced to carve - some time ago. However for everyone's information NO it is definitely not less grainy but requires copious amounts of SIG Sanding Sealer. But also for all members' enlightenment it definitely IS more dense and heavier. It has certain advantages: it carves exceptionally easy and appears very less prone to breakage or the extreme "softness" associated with traditional balsawood. So there is Balsawood and there is Balsawood. But don't expect that just because it looks rough that it contains special qualities. More (good grief) later.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff I have noticed that the Australian balsa now coming into the UK seems to be more consistant in quality than some of the other sources ie Ecuador which used to be the main area for logging,but since Solarbo are no longer trading many other companies have jumped on the balsa bandwagon with vastly varying qualities of wood,most of the good stuff goes to people like SIG in America for their massive kit production.

Lou I get the same problem with these big blocks struggling through the bandsaw,how my old saw ever coped I will never know ? but that gave up the ghost and I purchased a cracking saw which although it has a larger blade copes better.
I am envious of your clear pine,it looks to be lovely wood with close grain.
I quite often laminate fuselages and trap a piece of other thin wood as a permenent centreline to work to in the middle,sometimes I build a certain type of model to use up a spare piece of wood to save on any wastage.
I repainted a Dinky Toy Comet in RCAF scheme and it looks very attractive,a good choice of model for your collection.

Barry.

lastvautour

Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to craving I go. Well the enthusiasm is just bubbling these few days. I have made a rough stab at the Comet fuselage with pretty good results so far. The joining of the wing, engine pods and fuselage needs a bit of thought before attempting. It will be dove tailed but where the cuts will come is still to be debated with myself.

Glorious day out here with roofers acting like busy bees. The damaged that was done last December, but it take a while for things to happen around here.

Lou