• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Modelling Armament

Started by lastvautour, June 09, 2012, 04:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Here is a selection of templates for home made armament used currently in use on my AirToons. Some measurement from the actual missiles have been modified to fit the AirToon fleet needs.

First is the AirToon Sidewinder missile. Constructrion is a 1mm round toothpick with .5mm (1/16 inch) thick fins. The image must be adjusted to the size you want. It was built larger than life for purpoase of posting here. I have also attached an image of the actual Sidewinder for your info.

Lou

lastvautour

Next in line is the Sparrow AIM-7. The way I recognize the AIM-7 from the AIM-9 is that the smaller number is the bigger missile. The fin placement was changed for the F-18 installation from the original one used on the USN Aviation Centennial F-18. The addition of the undercarriage created problems as the wheel and main fin were trying to occupy the same space. I could not move the undercarriage so the fins had to be adjusted. The AirToon version has a fatter body, hence the bigger fins and the fit problem. Regardless, here is what the current AirToon Sparrow looks like with a drawing of the real Sparrow for comparison.

Lou

Sparrow drawing is from the Lutz Gretschel collection

Balsabasher

A really good material for modelling the fins is Miralyte ply,it comes in 1/32 thickness and can be cut with scissors,obtainable in rolls from good model building outlets that mostly cater for flying models.
Barry.

lastvautour

Thanks for the tip Barry.
The next is the RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missile.

buccfan

Thanks for the detailed armament templates Lou, much appreciated. Regards Paul J.