• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The Hangar 1/48 Scale

Started by lastvautour, March 06, 2012, 01:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have been asked to provide info on making a hangar. On reviewing the first of such post I see that I was very neglectful of details and the nuts and bolts of such a process. I will attempt to rectify this now.

Lou

lastvautour

Most items used are printed on my PC using Office 97 drawing tools, others are taken from the internet. Here are the items I used.

lastvautour

Most hangar floors are light colour to reflect light when doing maintenance on aircraft. Some are gloss to make it easier to clean, however they are very slippery when wet with water and oil. Mine are light grey.

lastvautour

Some older hangar floors were poured in blocks rather than a solid sheet. This was more prevalent in northern climates to allow for expansion. I used a pen to do the lines.

lastvautour

Hangar lines are used to separate maintenance bays and some have a red line on the outer edge to provide a fire lane. One is not suppose to place equipment in the fire lane. A big problem in small hangars. I made mine from coloured electrical tape.

lastvautour

Grounding points are located to have easy access from any area of the hangar floor. The colour may vary, but my experience has been yellow and black. These were printed to size on my PC with ordinary paper and glued in place.

lastvautour

Lines are placed where you wish. I elected to have a walkway between the maintenance bays. Some will have lines directing where the tires should sit.

lastvautour

I used cinder block columns but you can use brick or poured cement, steel etc. I used a nail to score the lines to help folding.

lastvautour

Once folded, a cardboard baffle may be added to help retain the shape and then a bit of glue to attach to the hangar walls.

lastvautour

Cereal box cardboard was used to equally space the columns and will be used to affix the wall covering.

lastvautour

I tried making my own sheeting but finally settling on using corrugated galvanized metal.

lastvautour

I glued the sheeting to the cardboard and placed them between the columns.

lastvautour

Windows and doors are sized and located to your liking. There are no set rules, but you should have at least two emergency exits.

lastvautour

In the first hangar I worked in there was a large roll up door to allow P&W J-57 engines to be rolled into the engine shop.

lastvautour

Heating ducts are folded and glued.