• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Piper Cub J-3/L-4 ................................(Completed 06 Sep 2012)

Started by lastvautour, January 26, 2012, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Don't look right. Need to down load some pictures and get the putty out. Having trouble finding a picture from the top showing the cowling.

Lou

buccfan

Is this any good Lou, I know it's for an RC version but it does have a three view including looking down where you need. Regards Paul J.
http://manuals.hobbico.com/top/rc28-j3-cub-manual.pdf

lastvautour

Thanks Paul. I found one in an old magazine I had on the Golden Era. Here is the undercarriage and the engine can be seen in a couple of shots. I still need push rods and an exhaust but that will come with time. I am proceeding with the J-3 as I do not have enough wood to start the L-19. So much to do, so little money!! Ah isn't retirement grand?

Lou

Peter

Wow Lou I'm envious of the idea of retirement. I took a promotion at work on Monday and I'm already regretting it. It's Thursday and I have logged 61 hours and I don't have a day off until next Tuesday.....enjoy every minute of retirement. I can't wait !!!!

buccfan

U/C looks good Lou, retirement means retirement from paid work!!, you then get to do all the jobs you didn't have time to do because you were at work!. But that suits me fine, no deadlines to meet or boss to please, just yourself. I hope the wife doesn't read this. Regards Paul

lastvautour

That last comment keeps me busy also. Occupational hazard of being retired. I retired from the Air Force on a Friday and started work on the next Monday doing pretty much what I did in uniform. That was a mistake big time. I finally retired and have been enjoying it eversince.(Less the honey do list)

Lou

lastvautour

Cylinders, push rods and exhaust installed although the exhaust pipes are a bit too long. I will consider replacing them at some point. Started work on the second Cub and will do a military one. Canada did not use the Cub in any military fashion.

Lou

lastvautour

The Cub is finished. I may revisit the nose area at some later time.

Lou

Peter

Well done Lou! I really like the ribbing.

Peter

lastvautour

The ribs are two thickness of tape with the top one being half the width. I will try something new on the L-4 version. I will let everyone know if it works. Here is summary of my High Wing Wonder fleet.

Lou

buccfan

Turned out well Lou, as Peter said the ribbing looks effective. A nice addition to your high wing collection. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Peter and Paul. I have since added the tail plane guide wires which I had forgotten about. I looked to see if I could convert my existing parts to a PA-18 but the measurement are off a bit. The advantage to later Piper models is that the cylinders are not exposed.

Lou

cliff strachan

That is a real nice collection of a type of aircraft that must rank as one of the most difficult to model. Of course I think that DBK is the nicest.
Cliff.

lastvautour

The biggest problem is the exposed cylinders and making them look good. They are not round like a radial engine but kind of squarish.

Lou

cliff strachan

What I was concerned about the most was how you were proposing to "blend" the wing into or  rather make up the portion of the cabin windshield that takes up part of the wing. Hope you know what I mean. It's even hard to describe. But I guess that you glued the wing on top of the fuselage and then sanded it smooth to hide any resulting "lines". A very good job whatever way  you chose to go about this problem - a problem in engineering that is not common to the competing medium.
Cliff.
On a second check of your photos I see that you didn't use this method after all but rather you elected to include all of the windshield in or with the fuselage and then fix the wing by itself to the body. Neat.