• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Piper Cub J-3/L-4 ................................(Completed 06 Sep 2012)

Started by lastvautour, January 26, 2012, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Templates have been cut and wood for the main components selected.

Lou

Balsabasher

'Two' Balsa Cub's,thats great,quite a few kit manufacturers advertised Cub kits in early 'Flying Aces' magazines.
Barry.

lastvautour

I am some what concerned about making the engine look half decent. I am about to undertake some research on that subject.

Lou

Balsabasher

Make the cylinders from dowel wrapped with thread,the cooling baffles can be made from card impregnated with thin cyno which sets like steel,plugs are pins wth cotton leads tack glued and thin cyno stiffens them up.
Barry.

lastvautour

I attempted to do the engine cylinder from card stock as per Ollie's method of building up objects but my fat fingers and the smallness of the pieces have made that all but impossible. I will try wire over wood later. For now the major components are cut out.

Lou

Balsabasher

RyanShort1

If you need engine photos, shoot me an email! I fly two Cubs.

Ryan
www.texastailwheel.com

lastvautour

Thank you Ryan. I have a plan in mind. Should that fail I will be contacting you. Nice to see you on line.

Lou

lastvautour

Prototype A-65 engines. Not quite where I want them yet.

Lou

lastvautour

The J-3 has been idle for far to long. I carved one fuselage and the top of one wing. The rib pattern still need to be sanded in. I have two engines but they not much to my liking yet.

Lou

lastvautour

Tail feathers attached and wing dihedral being set with super glue.

Lou

buccfan

Coming on well, I may try the superglue instead of Gorilla Glue next time, What ink do you use for marking on the painted surfaces Lou ?, on matt I have had problems with it spreading,and on gloss it takes a long time to dry and smudges very easily. I have used the Sharpie pens and Staedtler pigment liners. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

In this case just a ball point pen. I have had problems in the pass also.

Lou

lastvautour

Hummmmm!!!!!!

buccfan

Was that a pondering Hummmmm!!!!! or an I'm not happy Hummmmm!!!!! ?