• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DHC-5 Buffalo 1/144 .....................................(Completed 27 Jan 2012)

Started by lastvautour, December 06, 2011, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Wood has been selected and drawings printed but not satisfactory. There are no decent drawings except a set in PDf that is angled 45+/- degrees to the page with no one part fully represented on one page. Attempted to cut and paste, but nothing really lines up. Enlarging and reducing to get the fuselage straight throws the wing measurement for a twirl. Have to go back to the drawing board and do the scaling manually. I have not done this since PCs became available. This is why my early work is usually off on one or two dimension.

Lou

lastvautour

Thank you Mark. Much better.

Lou

lastvautour

Buffalo 461 was a Canadian military De Havilland Canada DHC-5 Buffalo assigned to the second United Nations Emergency Force force in Syria in support of United Nations Security Council Resolution 340. Assigned to a peacekeeping force, Buffalo 461 was shot down by three Syrian missiles[1] on August 9, 1974 killing all nine passengers and crew.[2]

The loss of the Buffalo 461 remains both the largest single-incident loss of life in the history of Canadian peacekeeping operations.

Canadian military personnel are restoring 461 using a derelict airframe. I intend to replicate aircraft 461 in UN colours and markings.

Lou

Peter

It's looking good so far. Not to mention a unique part of Canadian Peace Keeping history. Even as tragic as it was.

Peter

lastvautour

Thank you Peter. It is nice to have some personal interest in any projects. In this case, I like to have a Canadian connection to the project if at all possible.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou for the detailed information concerning the history and your particular interest in modeling Buffalo 461. I have often thought that an informative reason for the modeller's choosing to model a particular aircraft (car, ship) should be included with any posting of his work. I hope to achieve this goal myself.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Buffalo make progress but will in all probability not be finished by year's end.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lovely engine nacelle shape Lou,you have worked hard to get it to this stage.
Is it made from pine ?
Barry.

lastvautour

All made from the same pine board Barry.

Lou

Peter

What type of pine are you using? All the pines I see here on the West Coast are very notty.

Peter

lastvautour

I call it clear pine and that is what the local lumber/hardware store call it. I can get as big as 2" X 6" X 10' long and it goes for under $4.00 CDN a foot. Most boards I by are short pieces left over from other projects and come in varying lenghts. I sometimes get lucky and find an 8 footer but that is are these days.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Peter check the shelving boards.  You can sometimes find 12" wide 3/4" thick pine shelving board that is pretty good.  Of course, that's on the east coast.  Many times it has a good price on it compared to some of the project boards.

Ken Pugh

Peter

Thanks Lou and Ken.  I'll keep my eye open

Peter

Oceaneer99

Peter,

Most of the pine I see here in the Pacific Northwest is also pretty knotty.  The forests here are mostly hemlock, true fir, Douglas fir, Western red cedar, and sometimes spruce, and that is reflected in the selection at the lumber yards.  The project board pine at my local stores is a resinous yellow pine.  Every once in a while, I find a piece of some other variety of pine in amongst the others, and I have an almost clear 1x12 six feet long that I bought that way.  One of the lumber yards carries 3/4 inch thick Ponderosa pine.  It's more expensive than the yellow pine, but clear and very hard.  I've used it for some house projects in the past because it has worked well for me that way.  I have not tried to carve it yet, though.  I haven't seen thicker pine here at all.

My son and I built a glued-wood frame skin-on-frame kayak using the cheap yellow pine.  I kept my eye on the pine boards at the big box stores until I had enough that I could rip clear stringers from.  I cut out knots and scarfed lengths using epoxy until I had what I needed.  But finding nice grain and boards with knots on only one side wasn't easy.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Garet