• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

High Wing Wonder - Cessna 180............................(Completed 29 Sep 2011)

Started by lastvautour, August 25, 2011, 10:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have resized my drawing to 1/32 scale. I need to finish a few other before starting this one.

lou

lastvautour

Basic parts have been carved and assembled for test fitting.

Lou

Peter

Lou,

What do you make the struts and the landing gear out of?

Peter

lastvautour

The undercarriage is aluminum tubing flatten with my hammer and cut with a file and the wing strut is a slat from a bamboo table place mat.

Lou

Peter

cliff strachan

Your C180 is really remarkable Lou. The prop is especially well done. But how did you attach the undercarriage to the wheels?

Cliff.

lastvautour

I used Locktite gel super glue. The end of the strut is sharpened to a point and inserted into the fuselage at the proper location.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou. Interesting solution - but tricky I guess in that you haven't left much room for your attachment!
Cliff.

Balsabasher

A lovely model Lou,another useful addition to your high wing wonders.
Barry.

lastvautour

Cliff, here is a picture of the metal undercarriage and the placemats I use for various things. At $0.99 it was a bargain for building material.

Lou

cliff strachan

As usual Lou you've shown a wonderful example of ingenuity in being able to employ common everyday around-the-home things to a model builder's advantage. But the table placemats; their usage has lost me. However, the whole effort reminds me of the time many years ago when, from an example in one of the mechanics magazines of the time, I used  a lady's large hairpin bent in such a fashion and attached to my work table in such a manner that it became a bench vise for models during construction.
Cliff.

lastvautour

The green/blue disassembles into slats that are approx 1cm X 3cm and have a slight rounded shape on one side. The brown/yellow fellow is round sticks approx .8cm in diameter. I used much of it on my ships and they make great 1/72 to 1/48 cannons and 1/144 undercarriage parts. It take a bit to sand them down to remove the fabric matting glued to the back side, but then it is all fun time.

Lou

lastvautour

The Cessna 180 is coming along with heavy bond paper being used to make the corrugated surfaces. The printed lines are guides for lining things up. They also appear on the bottom of the wing.

Lou

cliff strachan

That heavy bond paper to be used for corrugated surfaces  is really a great idea Lou. But I wonder if it is obtainable in even smaller scales or sizes and if after painting will it be durable. I've been, in the back of my mind so to speak, been contemplating how one would approach modelling any one of the older corrugated metal aircraft of between the wars or older vintage.

And for only a moment if I may go off topic, thanks for the input primarily concerning working with older and simpler equipment in confined space. I was also hopping that more of our more reluctant members might be encouraged to offer their input.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Once sealed under primer and paint I hope it does stay put. I tried masking tape, but the tape would not cooperate this time as it did in the past. Always willing to try something else.

Lou