• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

High Wing Wonders Piper Clipper/Pacer..................(Completed 4 August 2011)

Started by lastvautour, July 21, 2011, 06:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Could not find any drawings of the Piper Clipper, so this is the closest I could find. The Piper Pacer is built from balsa and is 1/32 scale. According to on line literature the Pacer was a Clipper with a bigger engine. The drawings show flaps that the clipper did not have so there was more than just a powerplant change.
Regardless, this will be a Pacer.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I once built a flying scale Piper Pacer to the same scale that you are using,it flew beautifully being very light.
I love these high wing wonders.
Barry.

lastvautour

With the front cowl shortened approx 3/16 inch. All parts have been constructed and await the drying of the last coat of antique white paint. Trim will be a Colonial Blue???

Lou

Balsabasher

Was the ribbing effect filed in as your usual technique Lou ?
Barry.

lastvautour

Yes, sandpaper in a dowel. The filling of the grain is the worst I have encountered to date. Keeping the camera slightly out of focus may be the only way to make this one presentable.

Lou

Balsabasher

And have you noticed how the end grain takes a lot of filling ? it soaks up the filler and seems to keep doing so,I usually end up stopping it by spreading a skim of putty across with my finger.
Barry.

lastvautour

A picture of a Clipper was found.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=6222

Looking at the model and the real C-FOHC prompted me to do her up as such.

Balsabasher

Lou that sure is a pretty little aircraft,another great addition to your expanding high wing wonders chapter.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Lou, as I understand it you do the ribbing by mechanical means if I can use this expression to describe "sanding" the wing to reveal the ribbing as opposed to using paper over wing "ribs" and then painting or otherwise to "smooth" the wing surface. This is a great innovation in that I believe it will prove simpler in technique and ultimately more durable. Nice going. I guess I really do get off on the "engineering" or innovative aspects of the hobby more so than ugh painting and photographing.

Such unique methods, if not already posted in "Tips and Techniques", we certainly look forward to seeing.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Barry, thanks.
Cliff, The comment above should read a "Dowel in sandpaper". In this case narrow tape was placed where the ribs run and the sandpaper worked for and aft until the desired effect is attained. Just be careful around the ailerons/flaps. Next time I will make a detailed tutorial.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou. A very interesting approach to ribbing, one that I'll try on the DH82C.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Cliff, what drawings are you using? The HD82C is on my hit list also.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, got to check it out at home. As you're aware I go to the local library to use their computer. I'll send you a copy plus.
Cliff.

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,
Please try this link:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5801&fullsize=1

This is a three view of the DH82C that is in our Gallery. I'm not certain at this time whether you can readily download it from this info alone. Regardless other 3views are also in the Gallery but are generally of the DH82A. Other sources of the DH82A are the Nov. 2006 issue of the Aeroplane magazine and the Pilot's Notes for Tiger Moth Aircraft. However, to my thinking - and you know how complicated that is - I believe that unfortunately all these 3views are without sufficient detail to be really reflective of that aircraft. So far I believe that it will be necessary to support the available solid scale plans with either photos or manipulated photos to obtain the desired scale drawings. I've tried to do that at the local Aviation Museum ( WCAM) but recently they've moved all the displays around so that I couldn't get a shot or shots from a consistent distance. I think that one of our other members is able to arrive at a workable 3view from photos using computer technology.

Scale is just about as difficult problem. At the moment I'm of the opinion that a scale of 1/66 might be required to allow sufficient detail such as the aluminum around the windows and the air speed indicator on the wing.