• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Post War Era Republic Thunderjet.........................(Completed 30 Sep 2011)

Started by lastvautour, June 05, 2011, 03:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A 1/32 scale Republic F-84 Thunderjet has begone with wood selection and major components being cut in the rough.
Better photos will be posted as progress is made.

Lou

lastvautour

Vertical band saw cut have been made to ease the removal of excess material. With so many assembly lines going on at once, I need a foreman to oversee it all.

Balsabasher

Lets form a solid model ministry of aircraft production ! SMMOAP for short !!
Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, I had better check with the CAW, Canadian Auto Work Union. They have the aircraft assembly workers in their ranks. Regardless, the F-84 is showing progress. The tail fin, tail plane and fuselage are block shaped and the wing has been marked for the same faith later in the week. For those on this side of the Atlantic, hockey play-offs are tonight (Yeah Canucks), hence no carving.

Lou

lastvautour

The fuselage is now down to the proper width.

Balsabasher

A geat subject and a great scale.

Barry.

lastvautour

The canopy is starting to come out of the wood.

Lou

Balsabasher

Dont we just love it when that magic shape emerges,cutting canopies and shaping them is an art form in itself on solids,this is going to be another good looking model Lou.
Barry.

lastvautour

Lots of wood shaving on the ground with this one. I used 60 grit paper up to this point just to get the basic shape there. The wings appear rather short, but they were measured twice/thrice(?) before cutting. Once the tip are on, thing will look right.(I hope!) Regardless, progress in being made.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou your Thunderjet is coming along leaps and bounds,I had the same optical effect with the Jet Provost wings looking too short,once the tip tanks were added everything looked normal.
I can also appreciate the masses of sanding on the shapely fuselage,jets bring with them a particular challenge.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

She's looking really good.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Redid my calculations and I am 1.5 inches too short on the span. I have new measurement with cord at wing root and tips. I will do them over. As nothing is glued, it is still OK.

Lou

Balsabasher

These things happen Lou,could you splice them ? or perhaps easier to make a new wing set.
Barry.

lastvautour

New wing has been cut and block carved. Being a one piece wing kind of a guy, it does not take long to get to this stage. It take a bit more care to get the contour done. You will note that there are 3 sets of wings. The first did not have enough cord and the second not enough span. Someday I will learn. Maybe. The wood can be salvaged for smaller projects.

Lou

lastvautour

New wings attached and things look much better. The tip tanks are block carved and will be contoured later next week. I checked on using a dowel, however, they wanted too much money for a 3 foot section.

Lou