• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Post War Era North American AJ-1 Savage .................(Completed 19 Jun 2011)

Started by lastvautour, June 03, 2011, 02:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The original 1/144 scale version was scraped in favour of this 1/72 project. The nacelles are attached to the wings and the horizontal plane is glued to the fuselage. More photos to follow.

Lou
1st Attachment 1/144
2nd Attachment 1/72

dave_t

I keep a bottle of lighter fluid next to my models too. ;)

Very cool subject, by the way.

Oceaneer99

I just thought the lighter fluid was for the realistic flames!  I finally bought a bunch of small dropper bottles for various solvents that I use at my workbench: water, lacquer thinner, alcohol, acetone, acrylic paint thinner, etc.  I use the lacquer thinner to thin out my glazing putty when that starts to harden in the tube.

dave_t

I really do have lighter fluid in the shop, just haven't found a use for it yet.

lastvautour

I use it to clean my brushes after using enamel paints. It works to thin the paint also. I can't stand the smell of turpentine. Here are two new pictures of the lighter fluid container.

Lou

lastvautour

Progress shots.

Balsabasher

lastvautour

Thank you Barry. It is moving along nicely. The glue is now drying on the last major components before final putty, sanding and paint.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, I'm intrigued by your detailed shot and method of fitting your engines. Very interesting. Represents a lot of planning.
Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

This is very interesting Lou.  Thanks for posting your build as I'm learning a lot from these photos.

Mark

PS, I have good D.H.82C drawings from old Model Airplane News.  Do you want them?

dave_t

lastvautour

Mark, yes please.
Dave, the Savage is one of the aircraft in the recognition journal that was given to me in the late 1950. It always intrigued me but I was reluctant to build it until now. I would also like to do the IL-28 someday.

lastvautour

I changed the date in the above post to indicate it had been the 1950s. I think perhaps late 1958. Regardless, I have kept this treasure close to me for the last 53 years. The Savage is out of the primer shop and needs just a few spots of putty and some light sanding before the paint shop. I prefer the dark blue finish, however I don't have any white lettering and home made decals are not great when it comes to white lettering. I have yet to figure out Jeff's decal system.

Lou

lastvautour

Heavens to Betsy, I forgot the tip thank fins. Back to the production line before the paint shop.

Lou

dave_t

I have seen the Savage in light gray too, with a whitish underside.