• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID + Models Vol II

Started by lastvautour, April 20, 2011, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The current shots do not show much more than before, however sealer has been applied and sanded and putty has been added to smooth out certain areas. Thread is being used to simulate the corrugated wings on the devastator.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou. Thread to simulate corrugated wings? Hmm. I wonder! Do you think your method could also be used on any 1/72 scale model? An idea I haven't thought of. Also in the long run do you think that the thread might be subject to deterioration due to it being under paint?
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff speaking from personal experience the thread should be fine after a long period of time,I have used cotton thread with success and the models are still in god condition,modern synthetic threads should have even better longevity,the clear dope encapsulates the thread which seems to protect it much the same as tissue does over thread as well.

Another way of simulating corrugations which takes a bit of practise is to use a comb,for the carrier you use thixotropic acrylic medium,you need to prepare the surface in the usual way then spread on the medium with a brush,the comb is drawn through the liquid and with care a good simulated finish can be achieved,you can even use rubber graining combs but these are difficult to get hold of these days,these were used to simulate wood grain effects onto various items including car dashboards.
The secret behind the thixotropic medium is to attack the corrugations at just the right time as the medium starts to cure,once mastered it will hold its edge nicely simulating the most difficult to achieve effect on our models.

Barry.

cliff strachan

Thanks Barry. Your method for corrugation is very similar to what I was planning - still in the back of my mind so to speak - in that while thinking of the single engined Junkers J54 CF ROM which was very famous in Western Canadian bush lore I thought if I incised the corrugations after a dope primer had been applied I might be able to establish their being or essential features  sufficiently at 1/72 sale. As this aircraft has it's corrugations at various separations over the entire aircraft it is poised to be a significant problem.
At the moment or in the pre-planning stage I hoped to incise the corrugations - and their various numbers per given area - with the tools at hand and from photos.
Cliff.

lastvautour

I have used thread in other application and other than it takes forever, I have had no problems. My Devastator is 1/72.

Lou

Balsabasher

A good tip when laying thread onto a wing is to make a pre-notched jig that the wing will slide into,by using the notches you can wind away with accuracy then fix the thread with clear dope,then run a blade to remove it from the jig and tuck in the surplus.

To do selected corrugations as on the Junkers W.34 etc with the liquid method you can mask off the non corrugated portions first before applying the build up thixotropic medium,once cured simply remove the tape to reveal clean breaks where the metal is flat.

Barry.

lastvautour

The first to make it to the paint shop is the Martlet in light azure blue. I quote Wings Palette http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/574/9/0
Unit: 805 NAS, FAA
Serial: F (AX730)
Sidi Haneish (LG102), Egypt, September 1941. Forming one flight of Royal Naval Fighter Squadron in Western Desert, No 805's Martlets finished light azure blue overall.

Lou

Balsabasher

Interesting colour choice Lou,did you use ready mixed paint ? if so is it cellulose type or enamel,this is a very difficult blue to pre-mix a bit like PRU blue used for photographic recce aircraft,I think the Azure shade is what is termed non specular.
Barry.

lastvautour

I have/had a tin of Humbrol azure blue but it was dried out after so many years sitting on the shelf. I used DecoArt acrylic with a bit of mixing to get what I thought was the correct shade.

Lou

cliff strachan

A difficult colour to mix. But you've done a very good job, Lou. When searching for a similar colour for one of my F6Fs I was amazed to discouver that, according to Model Master's colour chart for enamels, the colour I was looking for was listed under the "blues" but called "grey" with a grey SF number? Something for modelers to watch out for.
Cliff.

lastvautour

I found that blue and grey cross each other's line quite often.

Lou

lastvautour

The Martlet is finished and gives time for the Mosquito which is next in line.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=6781
Lou

Balsabasher

Props spinning away,very effective.
Barry.

lastvautour

The Devastator and Mosquito are still rumaging in the background with the TBD wing almost finished corrugation and will be mated to the fuselage later this week followed by the large fillet. The Mosquito wing is glues and only await a bit of sanding before attachment of the wings.

Lou

lastvautour

The corrugation is completed on the main wing of the Devastator. The glistening on the blue side is due to the paint still being wet.  The Mosquito is ready for painting after several trips to the primer shop for make overs.

Lou