• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID + Models Vol II

Started by lastvautour, April 20, 2011, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Feb 24, 2008 I asked Garet to send me the B-25 drawings from the gallery. Not wanting to hurry into a project, it only took three years to start on the B-25C. As per the Beaufort, drawings come from the ID Recognition Models in the gallery and other I found here and there. She will be a B-25C in 1/72 scale. I have compared the drawings to a couple of plastics I have and the drawings come out pretty good. I have done the block cutting and will start the contours shortly. The Mitchell is very big in comparison to the P-51 and other single engine models in the collection.

Lou

lastvautour

The one piece wing is cut and shaping the airfoil contour will follow shortly.

Lou

lastvautour

The Mitchell is at the top of the priority list. The wings are contoured and await some final sanding. The green tape is just masking tape as Frog tape(also green) is way to expensive for general use.

dave_t

I like the assembly photo, complete with rubber bands, string and pins.

lastvautour

Thanks Dave, whatever works!!!

Lou

lastvautour

The B-25 is done. I used decals from a plastic kit rather than make my own. This will not happen very often, however the kit had two sets. Paint was Krylon rattle can except for the glass which was Model Master Ghost Grey.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5745

Construction was at a fairly rapid pace as little else was a priority at this time.

Lou

lastvautour

Almost forgot!! The paint edges were achieved using "Frog Tape". It worked very well when applied to smooth surfaces even if they are matte. The key is to ensure the edges are firmly pressed to the painted surface. Removing and replacing for alignment purposes did not affect its bonding quality. So for now, this product is recommended if you have problems with regular masking tape. If your tape work well, keep using it as "Frog Tape" is approx 2 & 1/2 times the cost of regular green or blue masking tape. I will keep a roll on hand for doing edges. The long term effect of storing the tape is unknown at this time but it does come in a air tight sealed container.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Very nice Lou!  I always think the Mitchell is the nicest looking of the American twins.  Had the opportunity to work on a real one once or twice, long ago now.  You've made a beautiful job of it.
Mark

lastvautour

Thank you Mark. I recall seeing some being disassembled for scrap in 1958. Of course, taking a picture with my mom's Brownie was out of the question.

Lou

Ken Pugh

She looks good, Lou, and a striking paint scheme.  It was such an enjoyable model to build I am building two in a row!
Ken Pugh

dave_t

Lookin' good. Years ago, I built several of the Revell and Monogram 1/48 versions of the B-25. One of my favorites.

lastvautour

Thank you Ken and Dave. The Mitchell is a nice aircraft to build and I have a thing for twin fins: Ercoupe, Nord 843, Expeditor & Skymaster. Now on to the next project???????????????

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou your B-25 Mitchell has turned out great,I also like the invasion striped paint scheme,well done.
Barry.

lastvautour

Thanks Barry. I like invasion stripe. They set things off in any aircraft and they don't even have to be sharply done as many were just hand painted at the last moment. Huuuummmmmmmmm how many days to 6 June??
D Day build. A quick one perhaps. I have a partially completed P-51! But that would be another topic.

Lou

lastvautour

My latest WWII ID + model stands below ready to jump out of the wood. I may give this one Russian markings!!

Lou