• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Memoriam - My Uncle Hector Jacob..........(Completed 25 April 2011)

Started by lastvautour, April 06, 2011, 02:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

In Memoriam to my Uncle Hector Jacob.
The Beaufort has a special meaning for me. I never knew my uncle Hector Jacob. He, like many others influences my life and fed my modeling passion. Like me he made solid wood aircraft but without the benefit of computers or calculators. His inspiration came from ID cards collected during WWII. Sometime around 1958, my Grandmother Jacob gave those cards to me. Uncle Hector had started a 3 view drawing of the Beaufort and those initial drawings are still on the back of another card. I can quite easily picture him with ruler and pencil in hand transferring the image to drawings that would have become a solid model. I only have a vague memory of an airplane hanging from the ceiling of the room he had occupied a long time ago.  

The image about shows his drawing and the Beaufort.

This is an online  quote on those card.
These World War 2 Allied airplane photos were first released in 1941 and distributed for a few years by the St. Lawrence Starch Company. At least 55 photos were available with possibly one more remaining unconfirmed (Mosquito?). These planes were flown by the R.A.F. (Royal Air Force) and R.C.A.F. (Royal Canadian Air Force). The ads read, "Here is your opportunity to get pictures of some of the planes that the heroes of the R.A.F. and R.C.A.F. are daily flying to victory - fighters, bombers, dive bombers, flying boats, etc.". A photo was free with one 5 lb. (or two 2 lb.) Bee Hive Syrup labels or two labels from any of the Company Starch Products.
http://www.beehivehockey.com/history_07planes.htm
The on line collection is not complete and a several photos seen on line do not represent the ones I have. I have yet to find an old site where all photos were posted. Any assistance would be appreciated.

My Beaufort has the benefit of many 3 views as well as the SMM ID recognition model drawings from the gallery.

lastvautour

A bit more progress on the Beaufort. The generic RAF colour scheme shown above is already being changed to 415 Squadron, RCAF circa 1944.

Lou

lastvautour

The new paint scheme did not turn out well either, so back to the paint shop. I over sprayed with dirty dark sludge to get a darker finish, but did not work. So I will have to mix my own colours to match the drawing I have. I cannot find any colour pictures and they would probably be off tint also. Ah, the joy of research and trial and error.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,
I've only now had an opportunity to check your most interesting history behind your Beaufort. And it does bring back memories of the illustrations of WWII aircraft provided by the "Corn Starch Company". In those days we all had them. I can't recall precisely which ones I had but, because we lived in an apartment and therefore could not permanently affix them to the wall of my bedroom, I devised a scheme of more or less knitting them together with string and then hanging them on the wall. Thanks for the memories.
Cliff.
Oh yes. Regretably, I can't recall what happened to them over the years.

lastvautour

The Beaufort was completed Easter Monday morning. The build was enjoyable due to it being of a personal nature. I hope Uncle Hector likes it.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5666

Lou

Balsabasher

I am sure that Uncle Hector is very proud of you Lou,the finished model looks really good.
Barry.

lastvautour