• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

High Wing Wonders - Stinson 108 . . . . . . . . . . . .. (Completed 3 Dec 2010)

Started by lastvautour, November 14, 2010, 09:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Decals have been printed and now require the addition of the bonder. Just a sneak peak at what she looks like. Someone failed to pay the light bill this month.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10004/DSCF3502.JPG

Lou

dave_t

A fine one Lou. I especially like the wing tips.

lastvautour

cliff strachan

Indeed another great model of another era. But Lou could you please describe your method of forming the wing ribbing. I believe there are possibly a number of methods and what you have chosen is probably another unique way that justifies exploring.
Cliff.

lastvautour

This one was a combination of strip of masking tape and sand paper wrapped around a 3/4 inch dowel. I used too heavy a grit of paper on balsa and it took forever to remove the damage to the wood. Next time I will use something around 150 grit instead of 60. The strips of masking were cut 1mm wide and placed according to my drawings. I then worked the sandpaper back and forth and being balsa it did not take long but gave me a very rough surface to seal. I reduced the grit afterwards, but the damage to the surface had already been done. On the Champ I just marked the ribs and sanded to the line. Masking just makes a sharper rib.

Lou

cliff strachan