• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WW I Flying Machines

Started by lastvautour, September 30, 2010, 04:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Looking at the photo I see there is still rib work to be done on the aileron.

Lou

lastvautour

Rib work done and lower wing is attached to the fuselage. The cabane struts are on the bench.

Lou

PS the whirl is real as blowing on it creates a realistic spin.

buccfan

That tape ribbing looks really effective Lou, I presume the overpainting seals the edges to prevent any peeling off? Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Yes it does. I am currently doing rigging. A pain in the royal you know what. There are monofilm pieces sticking out everywhere. Once all threaded and glued tight it will look OK, but for now!!!

Lou

lastvautour

Slow and steady.

lastvautour

Cloths pins applying tension while the super glue  dries. It normally only takes a few minutes but the preference is to let it sit for a few hours.

Lou

P.S. Two separate groups of rigging lines. 1st photo starboard, 2nd port

Peter

Hi Lou,

What are you using for the rigging? It looks like fishing line? Someone on the ships in bottles group I belong to uses the black string used for tying fishing flys and swears by it.

Peter

lastvautour

This one is monofilm fishing line. I have used thread fishing line also. I just happen to have the clear stuff handy.

Lou

cliff strachan

Nice going so far Lou. The use of a type of thread used initially for fishing lures is one of those ideas that belong in a special place with SMM. For your information I've tried thread for aircraft rigging. I've been concerned about the durability of thread but having some thread last for about at least 50 years I guess I can try it. Also I've concluded that making wings in two halves and then gluing them together has facilitated threading and rigging.To this end I was hoping that I'd be able to just pull one or at most two thread ends and then they would all be in place. It worked to a degree.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Threading the rigging has never been a fun part for me but in this scale absolutely necessary. The decals are printed and sprayed with clear. Another hour or so and they can be applied.

Lou

lastvautour

My very first 1/32 WWI biplane is complete. DecoArt paints and home made decals as with most of my projects.

Lou

buccfan

I am liking that a lot Lou, the tapework and the rigging look really effective. Well done, another exxcellent addition to your collection. Regards Paul J.

Ken Pugh

Looks good, Lou.  I'm sure Ray is pleased to see this model.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I recall Ray asking if I could make one for him ages ago. Sorry Ray, this one stays north of the border. Thanks you Ken and Paul.

Lou

PS Saw the movie Flyboys this morning. The first scenes show an SE5A. Neat!!!

cliff strachan

Hi Lou. Its too bad the pilot in the cockpit in your photo moved just as you were taking the picture. ;) Outside of that it's another great addition to your collection. But again what type of tape did you use for the ribbing? I suppose  anyway it is probably too large for the scale I hope to work in.
Cliff.

I've just now taken a closer look at your SE5. It certainly is a fine replica. You have attained a great deal of detail. Congratulations .