• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WW I Flying Machines

Started by lastvautour, September 30, 2010, 04:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The first of what I hope will be many WW I is the Fokker DR1 in 1/72 scale.

The little Triplane is easier than most due to the low amount of rigging required. In this case there is no rigging installed. The model is made from recycled pine and bamboo sticks for the struts. The level of detail is similar to WWII Recognition models with paint and decal. Paint is from Dreamcoat and the Iron Cross decals were home made. A final gloss coat was added to even things out. Some decals were painted over to blend, others were cut out with a new X-Acto blade.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=4633

Will

Nice Triplane Lou...
I am have to get back onto my SE5a and Hannover, now the evenings are closing in - I cut the parts in the spring but was somewhat disheartened when I realised how small WW1 planes are in 1/72 - and the Dr1 is one of the smaller ones so well done.
Regards
Will

Mark Braunlich

Nice Lou!
I've only made one similar solid, a Gloster Grebe in 1/72, not really WW1 but mid '20s.  I'm curious how you did the ribs.  I used doped on note paper strips.   Will is right, they make for tiny models in 1/72.  I think the rigging on the Grebe took about 1/3 of the total build time but they make for very nice models when complete.

Mark

cliff strachan

They are truly nice models, Lou. 1/72 scale is probably too small for some WW1 or light aircraft models. But, to my mind, this should be a primary advantage of solid scale. Should we not consider some in between scale - close to but resulting in a slightly larger product? Feedback on this topic would serve us all well before we get started building.
Cliff

dave_t

There is a series of Gundam plastic kits in 1/60 and I think Lindbergh also did some in that scale. 1/48 would work too, giving the Triplane  a 6-inch wingspan.

Gundam kits have absolutely nothing to do with WWI aircraft, by the way.

lastvautour

Thanks for the compliments. Inspiration comes and bites you in the ankle. In this case I was at my favorite model supply store when I noticed a completed 1/72 DR1 (kit). I just had to make my own.
I recall this photo from Tom Solury's collection in the archives. I think these may be as large as 1/24 scale or at least 1/32. Thought of doing on of those still lingers whenever I look at the pictures.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=304

Lou

R.F.Bennett

Have we ever had a WW1 Cook-up?  ::)  :P
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

I don't believe we ever had a WW I cook-up. Are you offering?

Lou

Ken Pugh

I haven't done a WWI plane since the Pup a couple of years ago and am eager to do another, most likely the Sopwith Triplane.  When I build these planes I prefer to do 1/32 scale.  The flying surfaces are solid but the fuselage is hollow and covered with silkspan.  I know that's heresy here but I like to do my own thing!  Hopefully, I can start on it in the beginning of 2011 after I get my current projects sorted out.

Ken Pugh

R.F.Bennett

Define the Cook-up and see if it will be seconded. Scale, nationality, what type of machine, ect. . .  WWI is just a bit vague.
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

I neglected to update this post. So many project so little time. The second WWI flying Machine was complete as part of a group cook-up.

I am sure there will be more but perhaps in a larger scale.

Lou

lastvautour

I started an SE5A in 1/32 scale a few weeks ago and have some progress shots. I find that using the drawings on line leads you astray at times. Looking at the wing in a frontal view make it appear that the wing is much thicker than it actually is. Looking at photos I realize a lot more sanding is required.

Lou

Will

Quote from: lastvautour on July 16, 2012, 11:55:34 AM
I find that using the drawings on line leads you astray at times. Looking at the wing in a frontal view make it appear that the wing is much thicker than it actually is.
Lou

Hi, Lou,

I have found that this is true of nearly all 3-views of WW1 biplanes as they look "straight" down the fuselage datum line and thus the underside of the wing-planes are visible due to their angle of attack.  A lot of the older plans do however include the wing section which is usually quite thin with an under camber.  The old books seem to suggest carving the undercamber before the upper airfoil.

Wait till you get to Austro-Hungarian WW1 aircraft with both undercamber and extreme aileron washout!!!

Regards
Will

lastvautour

Moving right along:

The wing ribbing has been applied including the false ribs (not show on photo) and the first coat of paint has been applied with a brush. The undercarriage is ready to accept the wheels which were made using 1/8 inch pieces from a 7/8 inch dowel and paper card stock circles with a pie slice removed. The undercarriage frame is pine and poplar. The fuselage is near worth taking a photo probably tomorrow.

Lou

lastvautour

The wings are almost ready for assembly.

Lou