• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID + Models Vol I.......................................(Closed April 2011)

Started by lastvautour, July 12, 2010, 02:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Thanks. I found it easier to make a one piece wing.

Lou

dave_t

Lou,
   Almost finished with the SNJ. I still need to scribe the lines, make a spinner and do the final painting...

lastvautour

Turned out great Dave. I am wrestling with the wing joint bead. I ran out of super glue so I attached the bead with regular white glue and used cloths pins to hold it in place. Several other attempts failed when I tried to wrap around the leading edge of the wing. This time I thinned the wood down for more flexibility. Super glue works faster and hold better when bending wood.

Lou

dave_t

I guess that is why they recommend paper. I found that card stock works fine, as long as it gets a coat of primer before being sanded.

lastvautour

That will be my next approach if the wood bead does not work.

Lou

lastvautour

Paper bead works better than wooden one. Here we have rough sanding and primer.

Lou

dave_t

I was hesitant about using paper or card, but it worked out fine.

Oceaneer99

I've used cardstock here and there for similar details.  I like to soak it in thin CA (superglue), usually after its attached to the model.  The superglue keeps it from fuzzing.

Garet

lastvautour

The Corsair is made up of a one piece wing, a fuselage, and a vertical and horizontal tail plane. The wing root intakes are scraps added to thicken the wing at that point. If I had put a bit of thought, i could have carved them from the wing block. The F4U is now in the paint shop getting primed.

Lou

lastvautour

The Yellow Peril as she is known in Canada has been completed.

lastvautour

I love these 1/72 scale ID + models. To think that prior to this past year I had not even attempted to do one. Thank you Dave for show me the way.

The Harvard was manufactured in Canada by the "Canada Car and Foundry Company".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Car_and_Foundry

Lou

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5003

dave_t

The Harvard looks good Lou. The ID plans are not as bad as I used to think they were a couple of years ago. It took me some time to adjust to the government way of doing things. It is still tempting to modify certain details along the way, but if you look at the last drawings (series G) they really got into smaller details, like the very complicated Ju-52.

lastvautour

The ID plans do give you a starting point. In this case all I added were the exhaust pipe, the radio mast and direction finder football in addition to deleting the bottom fuselage scoop. Everything else is as per the drawings.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving right along.
The decals are drying again since i messed up the first batch. The model will represent an aircraft flown by a Canadian pilot off the deck of HMS Formidable late spring 1945. These naval aviators flew British Corsairs. Only two Victoria Crosses were awarded to Royal Navy pilots and one of those was Hammy Grey, a Canadian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hampton_Gray

cliff strachan

A very interesting account of R. Grey V.C. Thanks Lou.
Cliff.