• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID + Models Vol I.......................................(Closed April 2011)

Started by lastvautour, July 12, 2010, 02:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The Corsair is done in Fleet Air Arm(FAA) colours circa 1945 and flown by a Canadian pilot Lt Richardson.  There were two colour schemes for the FAA pacific fleet Corsairs. One was gloss blue and per the American scheme and the other was dark slate and dark sea grey with sky bottom as per my model.

lastvautour

Latest addition is the P-40E using SMM plans.

lastvautour

And the Squadron grows with the addition of the P-38 Lockheed Lightning. The Lightning is a bit different having to ensure great care align the booms to make the project look appropriate. I Used Krylon and Tamiya paints and my own decal made from Testor decal film.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5505

Mark Braunlich

Hey Lou, the ID+ models look fantastic.  Thought you would be interested to see this photo posted yesterday on Comet Models group of Bill Hannan's ID+ models that he built as a teen in Missoula, Montana during WW2.  The figures look like Skybird models but I don't think they were sold in USA so they may be of another origin.

lastvautour

Thank you mark. It reminder of a different era, and that somethings are everlasting. What is the Comet web site address?

Lou

Balsabasher

Excellent find and it looks as if someone really had some fun with those models,it is difficult to see the figures but the poses on some do look like Skybirds ?
Barry.

lastvautour

Originally posted by Garet.

Bill Hannan is well-known for his flying peanut (13 inch wingspan) and pistachio (8" wingspan) scale balsa and tissue models, and numerous books on the subject.  I have several of his books in my collection.

Garet