• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Canadair CL-44 / RCAF CC-106 Yukon.......................(Completed 25 Oct 2011)

Started by lastvautour, February 05, 2010, 01:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I would ask my British friend to see if they have drawings of the Bristol Brittania. The Yukon was a pretty close to being just a stretched Brittania and would do for drawings.

Lou

lastvautour

Received some awesome detailed drawing of the Bristol Brittania from Garet. I have already made a prototype stretched drawing representing the Yukon in 1/72 scale. The fuselage is 2 inches in diameter and just over 23 inches long. Not a small project by any means.

Lou

lastvautour

The drawings have been enlarged to 1/72 and the Brittania has been stretched into a Yukon.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3797
The Beech 18 is to provided scale size reference.

Lou

cliff strachan

It looks to have a lot of potential as a finished Yukon, Lou, but, I'm also intrigued by your Beach C45 because, as you know, I'm still having concerns as to how to treat silver. How did you achieve such an outstanding finish to the "Bug Smasher"?
Cliff. 

lastvautour

Sorry Cliff, the Beech 18 is a plastic model. However, a smooth surface coated with gloss and them sprayed silver/chrome does an adequate job.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks again Lou. I've just received a downloadable Manual on Testors and Model Master Paints. While very informative - in fact the group could benefit from the info contained -  it adds to my confusion.

lastvautour

lastvautour

The Yukon is finally on the move with the wood having been selected, marked and cut. The fuselage block is starting to take shape. Roll out date is not expected to be before the end of the year.

Lou

lastvautour

A few more strokes with the hand planer and some sanding are showing results.

Roll out anticipated to be early 2011.
Lou

cliff strachan

<arogers@testors.com>
is the site for the Testors info that I refered to some time back. I seem to miss some messages.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Moving right along.

The dihedral break has been marked but is yet to be cut on my scroll saw.

The mating of wing and fuselage will not occur until the engine nacelles are attached and dihedral break has been completed.

Lou

dave_t

Is this basically a streamlined Argus? It is a good looking plane.

lastvautour

The Argus and the Yukon were both taken from the Bristol Britannia.

Lou

lastvautour

Things have come to a crawl with the Yukon. Final sanding is always a pain for me.

Lou

lastvautour

Carried out some work on the Yukon wing to fuselage joint. A work around to using putty or small pieces of laminated wood to make the wing leading edge filet was not feasible. If this works out, it will open all sorts of other projects I feared due to large filets.

Lou