• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

High Wing Wonders Aeronca Champ CF-DBK . . . Completed 23 Feb 2010

Started by lastvautour, January 22, 2010, 06:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have always been fascinated by single engine high wing sports planes. I recall my cousin having carved one and finally it passed into my possession. Long gone now, but the memories are just as vivid as the day I received it. So as my first new project for 2010, a couple of these beauties in 1/32 scale. They should be recognizable to all.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3721

The background is my balsa stock. Not much, but then I don't do many balsa models. These two and which ever other high wing wonder will be made from this stock. I must proceed to my local supply for balsa to construct the wings. The furniture store used to stock balsa boards a few years ago. If they are out, mail order will have to do.

cliff strachan

It looks like a neat project, Lou. But, you've got me. I don't recoginize the aircraft yet!
Cliff.

lastvautour

The Aeronca and Luscombe designs are both nice to model and carving them out of balsa relatively simple. I started the Aeronca first and will dabble with the Luscombe as time permits.

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou. The Aeronca looks like a "Champ" - the plane I soloed in in Air Cadets. Should 'ave recognized that one.
Cliff.

lastvautour

It is Cliff. Do you have a picture of your first flight or at least the designation and time frame so one may be able to get the colour scheme. Cadets birds where normally yellow????

Lou

Balsabasher

Love these high wingers Lou,you will probably remember that I built a couple of Aeronca Champs myself recently ? mine were from the archive plans here,excellent subjects.

lastvautour

I recall your Barry, they turned out great. I downloaded plans on line, don't recall where but when I did a search for Champ A7C images on google they came up as well as my search for the Luscombe 2A.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,
I believe that somewhere I've got a photo of a bunch of students in front of a Winnipeg Flying Club Aeronca. And you're right most of those aircraft were primarily yellow. The exact date I'll have to check my log - which is at home. Also, which you are probably aware of, the group has a posted 3views of the aeronca I believe. Get back to you on this.

Cliff.

Marcos Borges

Very interesting project Lou.
I like very much those high wing sport planes. I will be here learning with you.
Marcos.

lastvautour

The fuselage is carved and rough sanding has taken place. Now a few coats of dope sealer, more light sanding and then the Duracolor spray filler/primer. The wing canvas sag pattern has also been started using sandpaper wrapped around a 1 inch (2.5416cm Barry) dowel. The balsa was selected for free flight model, hence it is very soft and easily dented or oversanded.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3745

Balsabasher

Thats a cute model Lou,you will find that the balsa will strengthen up with the sanding sealer application.
Barry.

Paul

Looking good Lou! and no wonder with precision to ten thousandths of a centimeter! "(2.5416cm Barry) dowel" How did you secure the wheels to the struts? Is that an angled hole?

lastvautour

The wheel strut is placed in an angle hole as you suspected Paul.

Lou

lastvautour

The Aeronca is coming along nicely except for the finish. Lots of grain in soft balsa but we will prevail. Everything is just tacked in place for now.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3767
I tried something new. I normally build wings in one piece, however a new approach for me was to build the wing flat, remove the center section and attach directly to the side of the fuselage. Round toothpics currently hold them in place. I am pretty happy with the ribs on the wings and will do something similar on the tail plane surfaces.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3766

Balsabasher

Absolutely love it Lou,it really is coming along,you have captured the lines of this delightful little aircraft.
Barry.