• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

T-45 Goshawk formerly BAe Hawk Mk I...................... (Completed 2 Feb 2011)

Started by lastvautour, November 20, 2009, 04:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The BAe Hawk in 1/24 scale is being refurbished. Originally painted to resemble the Canadian Forces Snowbird. New colours will be RAF as soon as I can confirm my ability to make decent tail markings.

Lou

lastvautour

I misidentified the BAe Hawk as 1/32. It is actually 1/24 scale. I started painting the gloss black. I have had many problems with black gloss feeling tacky so I will take lots of time between coats to hopefully avoid this problem.

If you look closely at the nose area you can still see the old Snowbird scheme. This will be sanded down before the next spay booth session.

lastvautour

The RAF colour scheme did not work out so I went the opposite direction and decided to modify the Hawk to a Goshawk.

lastvautour

Another session in the paint shop was needed to paint the anti-glare panel and the canopy glass. Decals have yet to be selected for final finish. The second last photo is with my BAe Hawk Mk 115 used by NFTC as the Canadian Forces CT-155. The last photo shows the size relative to a plastic 1/72 scale Goshawk.

Lou

Balsabasher

I think it looks most attractive as a Goshawk,that is the beauty of solids they can be repainted much more easily than plastic kits.
Barry.

lastvautour

I have just placed the home made decals in the paint booth and applied the bonder. Should be ready to use in a few hours.

Lou

lastvautour

This project was an experience in making large decals. The Testor decal film worked out much better than the Super-Cal film I had remaining in my stock. I used Krylon paints and Testor decal solution to help the decals adhere better.

Lou