• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 21, 2009, 12:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

To quote the younger texting* generation. OMG the last post was July 2011. I guess I had better get going on this one. Once the yellow is sufficiently opaque I will apply the blue over top. Markings may be a problem as yellow does not cover well.

Lou

* This word does not show up in our site dictionary. The dictionary must have been made for our generation!!!!!!!!!!!

lastvautour

Following Paul's lead on the Blackburn Buccaneer,  I have started my own. Parts are rough cut on my new bandsaw. Thanks to Peter for some assistance in smoothing the operation. There are two fuselage plugs as there was no wood of sufficient thickness to do the job so lamination is in order.

Lou

lastvautour

Made some progress with undercarriage and stores.and tail group is now glued and crack fill drying. My camera suddenly decided it did not like flash mode and overexposed everything I tried from up close. Hence for the near future some blurring will occur until I figure out what the heck is going on.

Lou

lastvautour

F-18 is painted and awaits my home made decals which are basic for the late 1930/early 1940.

Lou

buccfan

Bucc and F18 both looking good Lou, I might have a go at the F18 myself.Regards Paul.

lastvautour

The 18 is a pretty easy one to do.

Lou

lastvautour

I posted pictures some time ago at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v435/Vautour/Air-Toons/
I have the templates on line somewhere if I can only find them.

Lou

lastvautour

This image is also in the Group AirToon build page two.

Lou

buccfan

Hi Lou, I have downloaded your F18 Photobucket album as a zip file to save your step by step , I hope you dont mind. thanks for the templates.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I am glad you could make use of it. There are a few areas that are not to clear so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I drew out five more F-18 on a piece of wood last night. The board I use is 20cm thick. I have to measure my original but I believe that the engine nacelles should be 10cm thick. The wings have a warp and are made from 5cm thick piece. The remaining pieces are 2 - 3cm thick. If you wish I will redo the original AirToon post to clarify what I missed the first time around.

Lou

buccfan

Hi Lou, having looked at you photo,s I think I should be ok, but if I get stuck I'll give you a shout.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

The wings have been glued as well as the pitot boom. The inflight fuelling probe is temp removable as it stick out more than Paul's. Lou

lastvautour

The weapon stores have been constructed, a triple bomb rack for the Bucc and some Sidewinders/Sparrow missles and a torpedo a la 1940s for the F-18. The Hornet is in the paint booth getting a fresh coat of gloss following the decals. The Bucc undercarriage is also ready although it is quite combersome in comparison. The S shape piece is my main undercarriage door.

Lou

lastvautour

The two F-18 are not quite the same size with the 410 Sqn being slightly smaller. I plan on redoing to the same size as the Centennial bird. The camera is still not cooperating.

lastvautour

The Centennial is decked out in three tone blue with red dotted stars. I don't know if this is a correct colour scheme with the white and red tail feathers. All decals are home made. I will need to get some better pictures but I am at a lost as what happened with the camera settings.

Lou