• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WACO Cabin Biplane in 1/32 Scale . . . . . . . . (Completed 02 Oct 2009)

Started by lastvautour, June 28, 2009, 01:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

My selection for the radial engine build will be installed in the WACO Cabin Biplane. This post will deal with the aircraft and any comments directly attributed to the engine will be in the engine group build. The fuselage has been blocked and carving contours will start shortly. I am using a pocket knife to see if I can still do a decent job with one.

The wing where constructed some time ago to experiment (unsuccessfully) with the look of wing rib structure techniques.
The engine is a 250 hp (not 750 previously reported) Jacobs L-4 seven cylinder radial.

Lou

lastvautour

Some progress achieved this past week with the fuselage and wings carved to block form.

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

Nice job making that cowl so evenly round, Lou!

lastvautour

Thanks. I now need a Forstner Bit to hollow the cowling. I looked on line and they are not cheap.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou,
A very nice Waco. I tend to have a particular licking for the older aircraft but regardless your model is very appealing. The way in which you have attached the top wing is also interesting along with the prop that you've made. You seem to have made two of the models. There's probably a story there.

Cliff.

dave_t

I too was admiring that propeller construction. Nice work on that.

lastvautour

Tank guys. The prop is a one piece affair made from a dowel. It is a bit finicky because I can't remember how I did this one. It belongs to my C-45.

Lou

lastvautour

The 1st photo shows the hollowed out cowling area. The engine was test fitted several times and adjustments made. The engine itself started as a 1/2 dowel reduced by 2mm in diameter. I then used my handy-dandy cylinder locator and drilled holes to accept round toothpicks. a 1/8 inch dowel was inserted into a drinking straw and the flex section cut at the fifth ring leaving four cylinder fins. The other end of the straight section was cut approx 1/8" below the first ring. . The rocker covers were carved and attached. The pins originally used for push rod were to small, so insulated wire was used. I cut off 1/8" coating from the wire and insert that into predrilled holes. I then used a nail clipper to trim the rod lenght. Red wire was used for contrast. These will become black later. The electrical harness (white) is more wire of a heavier gauge and the ignition wires are twisted metal tread I purchased for another project. The two other engines have no rocker covers and are being used in the Beech 18/Expeditor.

Ken Pugh

They'll look good in that cowl.  Like they say, it's all just breaking things down into flats and rounds.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

The engine sits on the exhaust collector ring. It will be barely visible once the engine is assembled in the cowl. The other engine core is my first attempt. The cylinders were not equally spaced, hence I started another using a dowel this time.

A comparison to the Expeditor engines and props

The installation is fairly loose in the cowl but not enough to allow the engine to rotate. There remains to add the oil sump and various tubing to connect the external exhaust pipe

cliff strachan

Really nice work, Lou. I think radial engines - or for that matter in-line engines also (eg. Gypsy Major for the ubiquitous DH82C) - are the most challenging aspect for modeling older historic aircraft. But, could you further elaborate on your techniques. The straw idea with the folds to replicate cooling fans, as I understand you, is a good idea but where do you get round toothpicks large enough to fit the straws?

I approached this problem by just trying to score the replicated cooling fans into my wooden cylinders. I suppose that scale will determine the method chosen of which there must be many.

Cliff

lastvautour

The round toothpicks are inserted into the engine crankcase because it is easier to hand drill a 1/16 hole than one 1/8 or larger. That way it is easier to equally space the cylinders. I then drill the 3/16(?) dowel to accept the toothpick and place the straw over top of the dowel. I will take some pic to show you later in the week.

Lou

lastvautour

Progress report. All the major assemblies are finished and await assembly.

dave_t

Wow, cool. Are you doing this in camouflage?

Do they have an emoticon for "jealous"?  ;)