• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Public Showing

Started by lastvautour, April 25, 2009, 10:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

My second public showing went very well with lots of questions and interest shown. I even received 5 offers to buy or have me make models for sale. All were kindly refused. The unfortunate thing was there were only 6 contestants but the spirit was there.

Lou

lastvautour

Three of the six contestants had solid wood scratchbuilt projects. The first by an 11 year old boy named Brodie was an AVRO Arrow in standoff scale.

Another was an 11 year old girl named Keely's interpretation of the Red Baron

And last was a 6 year old boy named Brandon's Sea Fury submission reminiscent of Garet's beach wood project.

The magic was in them attempting a solid model for the first time even at their young age. I praised them all and hope they will return in future.

Oceaneer99

Great work showing the colors, Lou!  I was pleasantly surprised to see solid models made by young modelers.  Did you find out how they were inspired to build a solid?  Did they see your work last year? Thank you for taking photos to share with us.

Garet

lastvautour

I managed to speak to the young lady who submitted the red baron. This was her first solid but assured me it would not be her last. I challenged her to come back next year. I did not get to speak to the other two boys as they dropped off their models and left, not returning at the end of the contest time slot. I have been asked to display at the Canadian Centennial Flight event at Canadian forces Base Greenwood on 20 May 09. We hope to see a 1/1 scale Canadair F-86 Golden Hawk and the Silver Dart, the first aircraft to fly in Canada. Also present will be the Snowbirds Air Demo team with their CT-114 Tutor aircraft.

Lou

lastvautour

Our next model contest is scheduled for 20 Sep 09. I had two showings this year already but very little new models to show off this time.

Lou

lastvautour

My fourth showing in two years went well. Photos of all models at http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v435/Vautour/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v435/Vautour/z%20-%20Four%20Display/?action=view&current=GreenwoodModelContest20091.jpg
I was asked to limit my display to 1/2 of the previous showing, hence the crowded conditions and no large ships. I guess I was outshining the regular contest entries. I had three request to sell my latest 1/32 CF-104 and several request for specific models to be built. All were turned down.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Great job showing the colors, Lou!

Balsabasher

And outshine you do Lou,well done for showing the flag,your collection looks stunning.
Barry/Balsabasher

lastvautour

Thanks, I did enjoy myself.

Lou

lastvautour

The store responsible for running the model show has decided to get out of the model business and concentrate on the toys they sell. Hence,. no more public shows for the foreseeable future.

Lou

lastvautour

Finally found a venue for showing the colours. The neighbouring town  has an annual Gala Days model contest. This is the first I have heard of it but I contacted the committee chair and managed to get a table to myself for a small donation of some still wrapped models from my plastic model stash. It does not occur until 29 August so I have lots of time to pack and make new boxes for the new models. I will take lots of photos and of course promote SMM and solid modeling.

Lou

lastvautour

Been busy with yard work, supervising workmen building an attached roof for my front deck and getting boxes ready to transport my entire collection to the show. I had two medium and two big boxes from my last show and have set up another three boxes. That takes care of approximately half the collection. I will need help in bringing all the boxes. I have a friend who works next door to the showing area so I will ask him to load up his SUV the night before. Regardless, I need another four medium and one large box and that should take care of it. They must be designed to facilitate unloading everything in under an hour. Re packing to come home should not take anymore than two hours or I will be locked out of the viewing area.

Lou

lastvautour

Taking much longer than anticipated to boxed my collection. Still, 6th box packed.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Impressive packing, Lou!

Garet

buccfan

Excellent packing Lou, seeing your Hawk toon reminds me I have to refit a sidewinder after being packed away for decorating, regards Paul.J.