• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

F-104G Lockheed Starfighter 1/32 Scale. . . . (Completed 22 Sep 2009)

Started by lastvautour, March 15, 2009, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The CF-104 will be build as part of the Century Series group build. Details can be found at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=262.0

lastvautour

Photo history of my Starfighter in 1/32 scale.

lastvautour

Progress report. The major assemblies are primed and ready for paint. The exhaust feathers and intake shock cone remain to be carved.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3080
The stand idea was stolen from Ken.

dave_t

Could we see a better shot of that stand? I might have to make a few for myself...

lastvautour

The Starfighter requires a paint scheme. I am torn between a 1978 dark green/white tail European scheme or the chrome/white/red homeside colours of the RCAF. Regardless, cannon armour, belly strake have been added and she is ready for the paint shop.

Dave the stand is an interlocking two piece thing. Quite easy to do. I will take photos later and send them directly to you.

Lou

lastvautour

I have selected the colour of my F-104 and have started to apply to the horizontal stab. A few spots require some attention on the fuselage. It seems that the colour was supposed to be a Canadian Spec, however, the first paint was bought from a British firm and a second batch was bought from a Danish firm. Yep, you guest it, neither was the colour stated in the spec, nor did they match each other. Hence some CF-104 were slightly different shades of dark/olive/green. So it turns out that a close approximation of what your find in a picture will do. It took quite a while to research this, but then that is the fun of it!!!

Lou

lastvautour

The F-104 is temporarily out of the paint booth for curing. All that remains is masking the canopy and painting it. Decals will be a combination of mine and the spare box once a few touch ups have been carried out.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=2

lastvautour

Painting continues with the canopy and grey panel(?). Next the exhaust and antiglare panel/radome followed by decals.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=1

Oceaneer99

Wow, looking great Lou.  It looks like some sort of carnivorous insect!

Garet

lastvautour

Apparently the way it flew, some may call it that. Small wings, lots of power. I have since added the paint to the radome and antiglare panel. Now all that remains is the exhaust. I have selected the roundel indent for the fuselage, but do not have anything else from existing decals. So back to the old PC to make some. The rescue markings are going to be a problem, they appear to be bright yellow coated with a darkened wash of some type.

Lou

gera

Gera

lastvautour

Thank you Gera. Nice to see you are still with us.

lou

lastvautour

Decals have been printed and await the drying process. This evening I will spray the bonder and tomorrow start applying. The large maple leafs and the blank roundels are on white and the remainder on clear decal film. I will apply the blank roundels first, let then dry, coat them with a gloss finish and then apply the rounds containing the maple leafs. Since I do not have the resources to buy an Alps printer, a work around must be found.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
Lou

cliff strachan

Those are very nice decals, Lou. Perhaps, at some time and although the subject has possibly been dealt with before, you could give a complete tutorial  on how to make decals from photos using a computer and the alternative programmes available.

Cliff.

Oceaneer99

Lou,

Those are nice decals you made.  I've also had to do some double-layer decals (clear/white) due to some of the white issues.  However, I'm curious why you have to double-layer the roundels.  Couldn't you just print them on white, or do you have problems with color extending to the edge of a white decal running when it gets wet?

As background to those new to home decal printing, here are some of the issues:

Clear decal paper:
The clear areas are see-through, so there is no way to make some parts white
Colors printed on clear decals are translucent, so the paint color below can show through (black printing is usually okay; I've only had problems with color regions).  Sometimes, I've gotten around this by putting a white background decal on first, sealing it (very important) with clear gloss finish, and then applying the clear decal.

White decal paper:
You have to do lots of trimming to avoid having white edges on your decals
Sometimes, if you trim right to the edge of a printed region, the ink will run when the decal gets wet.  Sometimes, you can use clear spray to try to seal the edges (you seal the surface this way), and sometimes this works, but I have ruined a number of decals this way and needed to print replacements.  A few have gotten down okay, only to run when I applied Future acrylic over them!  I now spray with a thin layer of clear lacquer before any final Future coats.  My current  printer uses pigment ink which is a bit more water resistant than my old printer's ink, but I have limited experience with it so far.