• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Lockheed Hudson Mk III 1/32 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Completed 27 May 2009)

Started by lastvautour, January 05, 2008, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I was urged to do a Hudson MK III by my nephew who resides in Gander Newfoundland where a Mk III is on display. Before going to the museum, the Hudson was in the hangar where I worked so it is no stranger to me. The Hudson is currently about 50% complete. In follow up posts I will add details of the build.

Lou

lastvautour

Nearly month's end. Some sanding on the engine nacelles and highlighting the side windows by indenting with a ball point pen.  Motivation to complete at an all time low. Insufficient progress to warrant a new photo.

Feb 08 time expenditure  - 4 hours

Kenny Horne

Man Lou,

I do love Hudsons, and all the other Lockheed similars like the Ventura and civil counterparts.  Yours is looking wonderful. 

Keep going and keep the photos coming.  Your work is very insirational.

Kenny

lastvautour

The left fin has been contoured and the small object with a pink stub is the start of the engines. Only 27 more cylinders to go.

Sorry for poor photo quality.

cliff strachan

Nice Hudson Lou. And like Kenny I 'm also a fan of Hudsons or rather the earlier TCA civilian versions such as the Lockheed 14's and 18's that used to pass over when I was a kid. All silver and modern. It really shouldn't be surprising, but I've approached building engines in the same manner that you have proceeded with your Hudson. Only I've only got seven cylinders. Presently I'm having a problem trying to simulate valve rockers at 1/72nd scale. If in fact I can't do it . . . .

Cliff

lastvautour

Rocker arm covers are a problem for me also so I bury them in the cowling. But an exposed engine would have no such luck.

lastvautour

i made a cylinder locator wheel.

First make your various angles using your protractor and then cut out the hole the size of the crankcase. Insert crankcase and apply makings. Easy as pie.

cliff strachan

lastvautour

Another idea given to me by a flickr member is to use bolts for cylinders. The thread portion can be adjusted to any size and if you use round head common slot, you can shape them into reasonable heads and rocker covers.

lastvautour

First engine is arriving final stages of sanding and adding details like pushrods, sumps and wiring harness. A new approach was to use wood to fashion cylinder heads. Once placed inside a nacelle I hope for a satisfactory effect. Time will tell.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1522

cliff strachan

A very nice engine Lou. I can certainly identify with the way you are proceeding as I'm also  in  basically the same stage of construction. It's much more true to reality than my effort. In fact I'm counting on the idea of "viewing distance" to counter the many deficiencies!! What scale is yours again? Mine is approximately 1/72nd or 3cm in diameter. I believe that I erred when I elected to try to carve the valve springs separately rather than carving the cylinders and the springs with rocker arms all together. This approach required that I then had to carve representative rocker arms separately in order to have something to attach the push rods to. Good grief!

The screw idea I had heard  of before but the selected scale eliminated this approach.

Cliff

cliff strachan

Further to: Correction. The diameter of my engine is more like 2cm at most. Three cm was the diameter of the propeller rotational circle.

lastvautour

The cylinders and crankcases are assembled and the sumps attached. Silver thread is attached to the base of the cylinder and passed through a drilled hole where the spark plug is located. The loose end of the thread is then brought back over top to simulate the second harness going over top to the rear spark plug. Another thread will be added to make the ignition harness connecting all the wires together at the base of the cylinders.  The prop is ready for final sanding and paint. As I do not have the paint scheme finalized yet, the spinner will remain unpainted for now.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1544

lastvautour

Nacelles have been attached to the wings and the engine compartments hollowed out using drill and dremel motor tool. 

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1543

cliff strachan

Well Lou your engines are certainly interesting and provide a challenge. I'm momentarily stalled in the construction of the Vidette engine. Owing to the early design of the rocker arms I've been forced to do them all over hoping to attain a more realistic version. 

Cliff