• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

DIY Sanding Sticks

Started by Model Maker, October 11, 2022, 04:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

I suspect most folks have thought about this item. But thought I would post just in case .

I cut some 1/4" x 1/4" (6mm x 6mm) strips and placed a gradual taper on one end. Then glued sand paper to the taper with standard wood glue. The paper holds well, and when the sandpaper requires changing, a quick cut with a saw establishes a clean gluing surface for another piece of sandpaper. Hardwood may be a little stiffer, but mine were made from pine and have stood up well.

Wet paper can be glued using quick set epoxy since epoxy isn't water soluble. Flat and convex shapes can be created as required.

I've found these great for shaping cockpit profiles, etc. 120 grit sandpaper seems to remove wood similar to a rough file. But it's much narrower and easier to hold for delicate shaping. I find these easier to use than the small hobby files since I can place a finger on each side of the sanding stick along with one finger over the taper.

So next time you have some scraps and are wondering what to do with them, maybe create a set of sanding sticks with the various sandpaper grits which you use and give them a try.

lastvautour

Thank you Ken. I also have several sanding sticks. Nice to have small ones for those 1/144 scale models.

Lou

Gearup

I use popsicle sticks but sometimes the angle doesn't work. I like the idea of the 1/4" square with an angled cut as it gives clearance and a better handle to grip. Guess I'll go to the shop and rip some strips!

Fraser