• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Laminated Plywood Solid Models

Started by Model Maker, September 15, 2022, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

While picking up some lumber at a specialty lumber store I came across these interesting models. The construction technique is certainly different than the earlier solid model kits, but I believe they still qualify as "solid models" even if they don't yet have the " Memories" established yet.

Due to their simplicity to assemble, they may make an ideal gift for young folks and allow them to experience the enjoyment of working with wood that we all have and provide an alternate to electronic entertainment. The tools to assemble and finish seem to be minimal.

Please note, I do not have any affiliation with the company. But thought the construction concept and approach was novel and different from what we typically consider to be solid models. It' also nice to see a Canadian company develop a niche such as this.

Link to the web site is below.

https://www.osbornmodelkits.com/wooden-aviation-kits

lastvautour

Thank you for posting the link. I have their CF-101B Voodoo I purchased a few years ago. It is for the sake of having as I worked on Voodoos for 14 years.

Lou

Gearup

I would think that it could help seeing a model airplane made from wood in the round. Once the basic kit is built, it could be refined with filler, carved and sanded to a pretty nice model. I think a local hobby shop has some of there kits.
Fraser

lastvautour

The parts could easily be used as patterns for a solid.

Lou

Boomerang

Very interesting post.

Definitely could enhance the finished model with a bit of effort.

thanks for posting.

Cheers

Gordon