• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2001 - 2021 - 20th Anniversary 1/72 Vought Kingfisher 08 Dec 21 - 26 Dec 21

Started by lastvautour, December 09, 2021, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Could not resist starting another project. This time a 1/72 Vought Kingfisher in intermediate blue scheme, with yellow wings. The yellow wings will stand out against the blue camouflage. Apparently this was a training unit  at NAS Corpus Christi, Texas, circa 1942.

Lou

Boomerang

Good choice of colour scheme . It will stand out.

A Kingfisher is planned for a bit further down the track.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Another ID Plus model although I am using other drawings as the ones in the gallery have an incorrect float.

Lou

Gearup

The float is coming along nicely. They are a challenge to carve with the concave bottoms
Fraser

lastvautour

Gearup

Do'h. For some reason I never thought of a small rasp.....I ended up using a small gouge and it was tricky to follow the curves on the Beaver floats.
Fraser

lastvautour

I used a gouge on the beaver floats but find the smaller float require the rasp approach or round file. I used the half round rat tail file on this 1/144 Kingfisher

Lou

lastvautour

Dave T

I chip away a shallow channel with the knife, then use a round file the rest of the way.

lastvautour

Thanks for your approach to concave hulls Dave.

Tip floats and main float pylons (not shown) carved and ready for primer coat.
Wings and horizontal plane attached and await sanding.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. ID plus model go fairly fast.

Float pylons are attached and need a bit of filler and sanding.

Lou

lastvautour

Light grey primer applied. Next comes the assembling of the floats to the fuselage/wings followed by paint. Decals are scaled but yet to be printed.

Lou

lastvautour

Fully assembled, primed and ready for paint except for the prop spinner and disc.

Lou

lastvautour

The yellow wings will cure for another day or so before continuing to the intermediate blue scheme.

Lou