• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2001 - 2021 20th Anniversary 1/48 DH-98 Mosquito NF II 6 Sep 21 - 10 Jan 22

Started by lastvautour, September 06, 2021, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Started a DH-98 Mosquito NF II. I hope to find reference on 410 Sqn Mossie but the internet is pretty dry. Regardless, drawing are printed, cut and pasted to cereal box cardboard. I have selected a nice 1" X 8" X 14" peace of clear pine for this project.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

lastvautour

Fuselage block lamination drying after applying lots of glue.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Gearup

The radiators give the wing hefty "shoulders" that are much more visible with the engines absent. I think it still has some of the best lines of any aircraft built.
Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I finished rough sanding the entire fuselage and started on the wing profile this afternoon. Nothing worth photographing as of yet.

Lou

lastvautour

Parts are rough sanded except the nacelles that require contouring. I hope to complete by year's end.

Lou

lastvautour

Major components notched for assembly and held together with wooden dowels. I am now aiming for end of Nov completion. I have lost my ability to spray inside, so I hope the current weather hold for a few more days. Finish will be hand brushed.

Lou

Gearup

Lou, those are beautifully crafted parts. Each component stands out by itself. An idea just occurred to me.

I'm sure we've all seen exploded illustrations of aircraft where the major components are separated from each other. That's what I see with you mosquito right now.
What about this?

Finish carve the engine nacelles. Then using the tooth picks, assemble the model but provide a space of about 1/2 inch between components.  In other words, create an exploded model of the Mosquito's major components. This would create a unique display model of the solid modelling process! Taken even farther, one nacelle could remain in its rough blocked out shape with other components in various states of finish.

Here is an exploded view of an aircraft. Now imagine if all the major parts of the illustration where being held apart by wooden dowels.

People always remark that " you carved this out of wood?". An exploded model would show them the steps to make a model all in one place. The progression from blocked, carved to finished would make a very tangible visualization on how it was made. Plus it would look cool on a stand.

Regards
Fraser

lastvautour

That is an approach I may take at some point. This Mosquito is destined to be a 410 Sqn NF II. My last posting was with 410 Sqn.

Lou

lastvautour

Plugging away slowly on the engine nacelles. This is the only project active currently on the go.

Lou