• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2001 - 2021 20th Anniversary 1/48 Bell Airacobra Mk I 28 Apr 2021 - 07 Jul 2021

Started by lastvautour, April 28, 2021, 09:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Newly started is an Airacobra Mk I in 1/48 scale using basswood. Current plans are to paint it in RAAF colour and include it to the 100 th RAAF anniversary build.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

I assume that the top view would be standard RAF camouflage scheme. Wings Palette Image.

Lou

Boomerang

From a quick pass at the internet. The basic colours may have been olive drab over RAAF sky blue.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/red-roo-models-rrd7201-raaf-p-39-airacobra--538843

The wings pallette one may be an early scheme for a P400 with American equivalents of Green and  Brown.

I'll do some more digging and see what I come up with.

I ran into the same problem with the Mustang. Dark green/ grey over light grey. But further digging gave ANA 613 and ANA 603 over ANA 602.
So I've gone that way with the equivalents that I have on hand.

I' ll dig a bit further and let you know.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. Finding the right colours is sometimes a challenge.

Lou

Boomerang

Lou

There is one that has been restored in Australia that is Green/Brown.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6859321

If you google Ian K Baker aviation history colouring book 28 . The cover has some info on the p-39. Trouble is getting a readable copy.

I had this problem when I did mine. I got the decals and followed the painting guide.  I will go over to the National Library. They have copies . I want to check on a couple of other things as well.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

The camouflage follows the RAF pattern.  Now to determine what colours were used. I assume that all RAAF fighters of the day had colours common to the type such as your Mustang. Canada trialed one and we crashed it so that was the Airacobra's career with the RCAF.

Lou

lastvautour

Parts are cut out and block shaped. Just three major components to this one.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Had a few minutes between the Kaydet and the DC-2, Contour sanding is done and wings notched.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 7 July 2021. Home made decals and Model Master and Tamiya paints.

Lou

Boomerang

Another excellent result Lou.

The shape of the Airacobra has always appealed to me.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Gearup

I agree with Gordon, that the AirCobra was a sleek looking fighter. I recall that the long propeller shaft was a problem with flex under g load. Not hard to believe when you look at the lengths of it.
Fraser