• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2001 - 2021 - 20th Anniversary AirToon Perky Herky 30 Jan 2021 - 11 Feb 2021

Started by lastvautour, January 30, 2021, 08:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Following in Paul aka Buccfan's footsteps, I have started an AitToon RCAF CC-130J. Templates are printed and parts are rough cut.

Lou

lastvautour

I copied Paul's templates and somehow shrunk them before printing. It makes my engines 30% smaller but they will stay as such. The vertical tail is also a bit different and of course, a longer fuselage for the "J" version. Spinner are yet to be rounded.

Lou

lastvautour

With Paul's assistance, he help me sort out my drawings. He was using 1/2 grid and I was using 1cm. The fuselage indicated 30mm thickness but my space for the fuselage on the wing was just 24mm. All good. My toon with be 20% smaller. Note how tight the 30mm fuselage was under my wing.

Lou

buccfan

Good start Lou, that explains your question , regards Paul J.

lastvautour

My Herc is on a diet. The fuselage has been reduced to 19mm thickness and my engines down to 10 vs 12 on Paul's Herc.

Lou

buccfan

lastvautour

Thank you Paul for the inspiration. My Perky Herky is ready for final sanding followed by primer. I my case, the grey primer I use is close enough to the RCAF CC-130"J" colours scheme. I am about to do the decals which will be all black as I cannot done light grey it really needs. Artistic license!!

I still have to figure attaching the props. I would like to do a propeller rather than a disc but 24 identical scimitar blades just 5mm long and 1mm wide is quite a challenge.

Using the barrel of an old pen, I sliced off 1mm engine exhaust and glued them using super glue.

Oh yes! I decided to do undercarriage. Hard to see here, but the nose gear is approx. .003" off then ground. Just enough that there is movement when a finger is applied.

Lou

buccfan

Looks great with the wheels Lou, I'me putting the exhausts on after paint so they dont interfere with masking up. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Good idea exhaust after painting. Wish I has thought of that. Decals printed. I re-checked my sources and found out that the J version is light grey with darker markings so things will work out after all. My props will be whirly also but with blades. See decals.

Lou

lastvautour

After first trying to paste a decal on the disc, I elected to cut out the bladed. It seems to work out. The only problem is that the outlines blades are hard to see on the clear disc and may require me to use white decal film. I painted the prototype blade propeller black.

Lou

lastvautour

Experimenting with decals. Simple black on clear film will do the trick. Propeller cut out of clear plastic and painted black also look good(personal opinion). Wing assembly is primed on the bottom only. I will flip and prime the top tomorrow.

Lou

buccfan

lastvautour

Gearup

Props look great 👍. Takes a steady hand to do those!
Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. Once I figured out how to cut the plastic disc to get the right shape things got relatively easy. I will no longer fear doing propeller in 1/144 scale

Lou