• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

cyanoacrylate cure accelerant

Started by Gearup, March 05, 2020, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Hello All,
ON my current model I have multiple fine styrene details that were fixed using cyanoacrylate adhesive. While it does set up quickly, sometimes it is not quick enough. There are commercial accelerants that can be sprayed, but they are expensive. 
Cyano adhesives are cured by the presence of moisture in the air ie: humidity. Rapid hardening can also be accomplished using baking soda.

I mixed about 1/4 teaspoon with about 1/2 oz of water and stirred it until it dissolved into a clear solution for my airbrush. After touching the part into a small puddle of cyano, I held it in position on the model and gave it a brief shot from the airbrush from about 6-8 inches away. You can see the cyano turn quickly into a cured solid. The rapid curing allows you to remove the tweezers holding the part immediately, reducing the chance of moving the part or contaminating the tweezer with cyano while holding the part in place to cure.

Since you are only applying a light mist, the water evaporates quickly. Any residue, baking soda haze, is easily wiped off with a cotton swab.

Give it a try and see if this helps with those teeny parts that need to held into position until the adhesive cures.

Regards,
Fraser

lastvautour

Flying T

what i do is i use fixall glue i get from dollartree on small stuff first to hold it then i put a drop of crazy glue on it to harden it up,sometimes i use acrylic caulk to hold it,clean off excess and put a drop of cg on it to harden the acrylic.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)